Chapter Twenty-One: Falling Back

The next few days were hectic and crazy. I would take about two hundred phone calls a day, all from people I didn't even know, but desperately needed me to pick what damn cheese they needed to use. At least the caterers needed to know that. 

My head felt like it was about to explode every night before I would go to bed, and I welcomed sleep as if it were a drug.

Meanwhile, Greta had taken my design and already done a few alterations. She had gone through the fabric I had bought with Joshua in London, and had already started to make a few cuts. She didn't get into the legit stuff, until a few days before the event.

I was panicking, thinking that it wouldn't be done on time, but Greta assured me that everything would work out. She taught me how to thread the machine and how to make straight lines on the fabric.

 I was surprised that in no time I was sewing at the same speed and even faster than Greta.

My mouth dropped open in surprise when Greta had spoken to me one night. I felt like my eye lids were being weighed down and my body was about to collapse, but Greta had pulled me aside to have a quick word with me.

 I couldn't wait to get to bed and just become a living vegetable on the mattress. I was taken off guard by her smile. Why was she looking so proud of me?

"You're a natural. I want you to know that." Greta smiled and patted my forearm, before making her way to my room with another proud look.

Me? A natural at making a dress? I hadn't really pondered it for too long, I had been in desperate need of rest. All of the work I was putting into my dress and the event, kept my mind incredibly occupied. I didn't even think about Joshua during those days.

Alright, so I'm lying. I did think about him a few times, but only for brief moments and in short spurts. I wasn't even questioning our relationship anymore. Not like we had a relationship to begin with. Well, we might have been friends at some point...I'm going to stop myself now.

That's how it typically went for me. I would think about Joshua, wonder what the hell he was doing, and then someone would call me on the phone and ask me how big I wanted the ice sculptures, what kind of decorations I needed, or some other crap. It was enough to keep him relatively off of my mind.

I had chewed my nails to no avail on the day before. Would everything go well? Or would something terrible happen? Holy shit, what if the fucking building burned down or something? I didn't even know the exit routes! Would it be too much if I included a map of the building at the entrance, with all of the emergency exits labeled?

What if a tsunami hit? Holy crap! Wait, tsunamis didn't happen in New York...right? All of my science and geography lessons fell out of the window, because of how stressed I was. Fuck, what if someone fell out of a window?

It became a huge concern, all for five minutes, until I remembered that there was only one story. But then I asked myself "Could they still get hurt if they fell out of a one story window?", and thus my list of disastrous scenarios began all over again.

As you can tell, I was losing my shit.

At least all of the major and minor details were taken care of the night before. By midnight, the caterers knew what time they needed to be there, the decorators had already jazzed the venue up, and the R.S.V.Ps had already been accounted for.

I semi-fainted when Justin Timberlake R.S.V.P'd. The only thing that I wasn't sure of was my dress. I focused my stress on whether or not my dress was finished, while I climbed the stairs to my apartment. I was going home after visiting the flower shop that would be decorating the center pieces.