Chapter Seventeen: Be Careful

"Why can't we just ask for directions?" Joshua asked for the tenth time.

"Because we aren't lost!" I clarified. I continued to stick my hands in my jean pockets, looking for my cell phone. I realized with dread that I had left it at the hotel. I knew for a fact that Joshua didn't have one, so I rolled my eyes in frustration.

Alright, I hated to admit that being lost was my fault, even if Joshua wasn't even blaming me. Stupid Bum! Getting me lost was probably part of his freaking conspiracy that he had against me! Ok, now I just sounded paranoid. Part of it was my underlying fear of being lost in an unknown place.

"Holy shit! What if we get mugged?" My word vomit was starting. I could feel it bubbling up. It was almost like that time I thought we were going to die on the jet, only now I was probably going to get mugged and probably killed in the process.

Alright, so I was being dramatic again. Fear tended to do that to me.

"We will not get mugged, Lilly. Plus, I'm here to protect you." Joshua said with a wink. He was about to lift his arms to flex, when I punched the right one with my fist.

"Ouch! What was that for?" Joshua whined, massaging the spot that my fist had made contact with.

"Oh, yeah. I feel really safe now. You can't even take a punch from a girl." I told him in a bored tone, scanning the area.

"Well, it wasn't like you warned me about it! Give me a head start! Come on!" Joshua stepped directly in my line of vision and started to mock boxing. I rolled my eyes, but played along anyway.

I slapped his left arm, before Joshua could pull it away. I started to giggle when I realized that instead of moving the left arm, he had moved his right.

I tried to hit his right arm and noticed that he moved his left out of the way. I continued giggle when I realized how uncoordinated he was.

"Oh my god, you have the worst reflexes in history!" I stated in between laughter.

Joshua's cheeks turned slightly red, but he started to laugh with me. I realized I was fully relaxed now, without a fear of being mugged. Had he done that on purpose? Before I could ask him, I saw him start towards a small woman that was a couple of feet away from us.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, grabbing hold of his arm and pulling him back.

"I'm asking for directions back to the hotel. Lilly, we're lost." He stated.

"I already told you! We. Are Not. Lost. I know exactly where we are." Now I was just plain out lying. But, Joshua looked a little unconvinced, like maybe I did know where we were.

"You know what? You're right. Plus, there was the huge language barrier we would have to cross just to get directions..." Joshua told me in the most convincing tone.

"Language barrier?" I repeated. He did know that people in London spoke English right?

"Yeah, Oh wait! There is no language barrier! So, why don't we just ask for directions anyway?" I realized that for the first time Joshua had been sarcastic. Oh.

I rolled my eyes and blew air out of my mouth, making my bangs flop around my forehead.

"Come on. Want me to prove that I know where we are?" I asked him, already pulling his hand towards the opposite direction of the woman.

I gave a silent prayer that I wouldn't get us more lost, and started to trudge my way towards what I thought was back towards the fabric store. I knew that Joshua was just humoring me, when we ended up walking for ten minutes straight with no sign of a familiar place.