Chapter Thirty-Four: New Attitude

Alright, Lilly, you got this. Whatever they tell you, you can handle it. Yup, no big deal. You are a strong and -

"He slept his way into the business." Martin stated, without batting an eyelash.

My inner conversation halted as I tried to process what had just been said to me. Joshua did what?

"Did you really have to say it like that?" Robert directed himself toward Martin, who was sitting back casually in his chair. Later, I would realize that it was just the way Martin was. He always had total control over situations, so he tended to simply relax and watch things unfold.

"She needed to hear it, might as well put everything on the table. It's the only way we can convince her." Johnny contradicted towards Robert.

I wasn't really paying too much attention to their chatter. My attention was more wrapped up on what Martin had said.

"What do you mean?" I knew I was sounding dense, but I really needed one of them to clarify.

"Well, let's just say Lachowski didn't get his modeling contract with just his pretty face." Johnny told me in a bored tone.

"Ah, but he did!" Martin joked.

That's when I got pissed off. He was taking this as if it were a big joke or a fucking game! My emotions were conflicted and I wasn't sure whether to be pissed off, distressed, or laughing my damn head off in a bout of madness.

"So, you're telling me he slept with people just to get his modeling career started? Alright, that's a bad thing, but he's changed and he probably did what he had to do and-" My ramblings were cut off by Johnny, who intervened with a chirp of his voice.

"He slept with Lanning."

The look on my face must have been hilarious in any other situation, because it was of utter disgust. I immediately imagined the two together and my stomach got all hot and my throat closed up.

My mind raced back to when I first found out I would be working for Lanning. I had googled the heck out of Joshua and his life. Obviously that bit of information hadn't popped up, but if I remembered correctly Joshua got his contract when he was seventeen.

"No, you're wrong. He was only seventeen when he got it! Lanning's like... I don't know, but she's old. Really old!" Alright, so Lanning wasn't that old. Hell, she looked to be my age, although she obviously wasn't. It still freaked me out that a seventeen year old Joshua would have anything to do with Lanning.

God, that's when I really hated the bitch. I imaged a young Joshua and my heart stopped. I wasn't mad. No, I was scared and hurt. I felt bad for Joshua. For the things he had to do to get what he wanted. He had to do them right?

The rest of the guys in the room only stared at me. Watching it all sink in.

Johnny was the first to realize how I really felt.

"Oh, god. You feel bad for him don't you?" He questioned, looking at me like I was crazy.

Suddenly, my feelings of pity were gone. I didn't know why, but I didn't feel bad for Joshua anymore. It was as if my mind knew what was to come next.

Martin scoffed and rolled his eyes up towards the ceiling. Was I fucking missing something? I looked towards Robert's direction, looking for a little help.

"Did you?" I asked, wishing for him to say yes, although it was bad for me to wish the same thing for Robert.

"No, Why do you think it took me this long? I'm sorry, Lilly." Robert really did look sorry. Robert was a lot older than Joshua, and he had about the same amount of experience, so it made sense.