Chapter Thirty-Seven: Don't Stop

If my career as a fashion designer ever failed, acting would definitely be my second option. I was doing a lot of it lately, especially when I was told that I had to attend the same party that Joshua, Gola, and even Lanning would be attending.

I wanted to ask Martin Vance why the hell he would invite our enemies, but then I would have shown him that I cared. I wasn't sure why he did what he did, but it was probably due to one of his perverse tendencies.

Nevertheless, I found myself getting ready for that night with a big fat smile on my face. I was trying to keep my calm and smiling so hard my cheeks were sore. It was all part of my own personal plan.

I knew that Martin, Minerva, Johnny, and even Robert were all expecting me to throw a bitch fit when I learned the jolly news. I surprised everyone by being completely calm and even cheery. My plan was to convince them that I didn't care about Joshua. I even wanted to convince myself, if I was really that good.

I left shortly after Martin and the rest of the people, not without a dry cleaner's bag and a pair of shoes, though. Johnny told me that he had the perfect outfit for that night, but he hadn't let me see it. I was too busy thinking of composing myself that I hadn't even been nosy and taken a peek.

Now I slowly unzipped the bag to reveal a short tight black dress. The dress had a cutout in the center, making it look as if were two pieces, but not really. The top was adorned with gold studs.

Even without trying it on I knew it would be fucking short. The shoes were several inches tall, but they really did go with the dress. Although if I face planted the ground by the end of the night, no one could blame me.

I knew Martin had a thing for theatrical things, but when I saw the mask I had to roll my eyes. He would be tacky enough to make it a masquerade! I had very little time to get ready, so before I ended up hurling my lunch at the thought of seeing Joshua again, I focused on getting ready.

I even straightened my hair for the occasion. The dress did end up being insanely short, and with the help of the heels my legs looked miles long.

 I added a gold studded bracelet, along with some earrings. I usually hated red lipstick, but it could only be fitting. Sometimes a girl needed to make a few sacrifices. I looked at myself once, twice, and even a third time.

I looked like a trouble.

I was in the middle of adding a second layer of mascara when I heard a short knock and my brother entering.

Andrew walked in purposely, but stopped short when he saw me.

"That's...a short dress." He noted with eyes trained on the object of his attention.

"Well, tell that to the gay guy who let me borrow it." I told him with only half of my attention. The other half was invested in not stabbing my eyeball.

"There's a limo waiting for you downstairs. You didn't tell me you were going out, much less looking like that." My brother really did sound out of it, he hadn't even asked about the gay guy.

"What do you mean? Is it ugly?" I asked with mild horror. Would Joshua think it looked ugly? Why the hell was I even asking myself that? Alright, so I was going all the way to dress myself up for the sake of showing him what he had lost. Was that petty of me?

"No! It's just short...and the shoes...and you're my little sister. You've just never dressed even close to this... Oh sweet Jesus, I'm sounding like mom and dad aren't I?" He claimed with horror himself.

I giggled, because he was talking a mile a minute just like our mother.

"Relax, I'm probably going to spend the entire night awkwardly standing in the corner. I can't wait!" I sarcastically promised.