Chapter Twenty-Two: Thin Ice

I stood in front of the mirror, simply staring at myself. I had already done my hair into a messy bun and curled my bangs around me face. I was even wearing the annoying stilettos that I had bought for my job interview. My knees felt like they would buckle, but damn, I had to admit that I looked good.

I ran my hands over the lace dress that Greta and I had worked so hard on. Tonight would be the night.

Sighing at the loss of my friend, I picked up the clutch I would be using and made my way towards my front entrance. The cab that I had ordered in advance was already waiting idly in front of my apartment.

My insides started to go crazy at the thought of seeing Joshua. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours since I finally realized the way I felt for him, but I was already losing my sanity. I knew that I shouldn't feel that way about him, but now that it was out it couldn't be locked away again.

I sighed as the cab finally pulled into the venue. It was officially show time. I knew that most of the guests wouldn't arrive until an hour later and that the only people that would great me worked with me.

You can imagine how difficult it was for me to contain my excitement at seeing Johnny and Amanda again. Hell, I practically skipped into the place! I was planning on walking in and barking orders the minute I was there, yet I hadn't been prepared for the awkwardness of my entrance.

Every single eye was trained on me and I didn't know what the fuck to do. I fidgeted awkwardly in my dress as I made eye contact with some of the people in the room. I made the mistake of meeting Johnny's penetrating gaze first and immediately felt like fleeing the room.

Curiosity described every gaze that came my way. Did my dress look wrong? Holy shit, had I put my dress on backwards?

I peered down towards my body and quickly realized that it wasn't the case.

I knew one pair of eyes weren't looking at me, the ones that belonged to Joshua, because he wasn't anywhere in sight. I felt a little deflated at the thought, but then maybe it was better that he wasn't there to see me in my humiliation. That's what it was, humiliation. No one spoke a word.

Until Gola decided to pip up, "Oh, my gosh! Who are you wearing?"

Gola was practically jumping in her glitter pumps with excitement. Who was I wearing? I can't explain why I didn't want to reveal the fact that I had designed it.

 The truth was that I was terrified that if I said it was me, everyone in the room would get the idea that I was one of them. I didn't want that to happen, because deep inside I was already having some doubts about who I was.

"I'm wearing...Wal-Mart?" I said unsurely.

I was ready to slap myself after I realized what I had said. Why the flying fuck had I said Wal-Mart? That was ten times worse then admitting that I had made it myself. Instead of getting to mighty stares of distaste, I felt the whole room vibrate with laughter. Jenna Lanning's particular laughter rung heavy over the room.

"Well, it sure looks like something from Wal-Mart" Amanda said meanly, before turning away in her own flowing red dress. What had crawled up her ass? Talking about her ass, that dress did nothing for it.

"Oh, don't worry Lilly. Amanda is probably just bitter, because that dress is making her ass resemble a pair of flap jacks." Johnny said, snidely in the direction that Amanda had gone towards.

At least I wasn't the only one who realized it. Even the gay guy commented on the weirdness of her butt. It did freak me out that Johnny and I thought the same thing.

 I could tell that there was a shift, though. From the moment that I walked into the room, Johnny had looked at me with this really difficult to decipher look. It felt like a mixture of curiosity, respect, and calculation. It freaked me out, but I was probably just imagining things.