xxi.

Jimin got up early so he didn't have to take the bus. He went down to the kitchen and found his mom already cooking.

He froze. She's not normally down here at this time. "Mom? Why are you up early?"

She turned around, smiling. "Baby, you're up early too. And I'm making you your favorite, chocolate chip pancakes. I thought it might cheer you up a little."

Jimin's eyes tested up as she turned back to the stove. Then he hugged from from behind, leaning his head against her back. "Mom..."

"Yes, Jimin?" she asked, surprised.

He swallowed. The words were stuck in his throat - too many of them. They were getting stuck. They just wouldn't come out. Finally, "I love you" was all he managed to say.

His mom smiled. "I love you too, Jimin," she said, patting him on the head. "Now go sit down and get ready for a good breakfast!"

"I- I'm sorry Mom, I have to go in early for school," Jimin lied, looking down. He felt awful, knowing that his mom had gotten up early to make him food. My last supper. "I'm sorry..."

"Oh..." She looked a little disappointed, but she she shook her head and forced a smile. "That's okay. I'll put them in the fridge for when you get home today, all right? Then we can have breakfast for dinner."

Jimin swallowed and nodded. "Okay, Mom." There were so many more words he wanted to say, but still, none of them would come.

He walked toward the door and and had his hand on the doorknob when his mom spoke.

"Jimin, don't listen to what those other kids tell you. You're beautiful and special and perfect just the way you are, okay? You're just right."

Jimin hesitated, feeling like he was suffocating, like he couldn't breathe. Which one is the lie? "Okay, Mom."

Jimin opened the door.

"Wait! What about my goodbye kiss?" she asked, hurrying over to him and giving him a peck on the cheek and forehead while slipping a bag of chocolate pancakes into his backpack, unbeknownst to him. "All right, now you can go."

Jimin couldn't look at her anymore so he just nodded and walked out the door, letting it swing shut behind him.

Then Jimin walked to school for the last time.