Chapter 11

Lies And Doubts

3rd Pov. Amalla

Amalla stood slowly, her back aching from laying so long. Her brown hair swept across her back as she stretched her limbs.
She slowly walked towards the door, her mind hesitant, but her heart determined. Amalla pulled the door open, and stepped lightly down the hall.

A table appeared in her view, along with Brian and Mia. Her body paused as Brian looked over. He stood and walked up to her.

"Hey, Mall." He said softly, and she gave him a sheepish smile.
"Why did-"  Amalla looked down before he finished the question, and passed him to greet Mia.

"Hey, long time no see stranger." Mia said, and Amalla awkwardly held her hand out. Mia slapped her hand away and hugged her tightly.

Amalla squeezed just the same, and pulled away. She sat down next to Brian, across of Mia. Dom slowly entered the room, his eyes catching Amalla's. She looked down at the table as Mia gave her a pity sort of look.

"Want some of this?" Mia asked, and Dom sat down at the end of the four-seated table.

"Yeah." He said, and Amalla's was given some food from Brian.

"Thanks, Bri." She replied, and Dom tensed at the name.

"It's spicy. I like it hot. Dom, what are you doing? You reached first, you have to say grace." Mia said, as Amalla's glanced at him. He returned the look and closed his eyes. He held his hands out, and they all grabbed a hand as Amalla's hesitated.

Brian and Mia's eyes were closed as Dom stared at her. She let her hand be enclosed by his and they closed their eyes.

"Thank you, Lord, for blessing this table. With food, family and friendship." Dom said, and they all let go. Amalla's quickly ate and dismissed herself from them, taking a step outside away.

---

Amalla grabbed her flip phone, and scanned through the numbers. Her eyes paused multiple times thinking of what to do.

'Thomas Shaw'

She paused over the number, she clicked on the number. Her hand putting the phone to her ear.

'Hello?'
'Tom?'
'Hey, Ma.'
'How's school?'
'Good I guess. I got the highest average in scho-'
'Are you okay, Mom?'
'Yeah. Um, your uncle got me away from Braga so we are finally speaking. Anyways keep telling me about school.'
'Well, I got a bunch of scholarships and grants. They want me to graduate early and leave to the university of my choice.'
'That's great, darling.'
'Mom, you don't use that nickname anymore. Are you sure you're okay?'
'Yeah. Just thinking. Um, I will try to see you tomorrow. Are you still in L.A.?'
'Uh, yeah. I gotta go, Ma. My dates here.'
'Who's your da--'

Amalla pulled back from the phone and lowered it slowly. She leaned it against her forehead as she cursed silently.

A.N. Revised:[2/27/24]