Loved (Edited)

The picture above is of Tyler

"Blood makes you related,
loyalty makes you a family"

Tyler

I'm sitting in the family room grudgingly watching one of the twins shows. I sigh as Peyton leans over and whispers something into Hannah's ear, they got to control the TV and they aren't even paying attention. Hannah giggles loudly. I sigh again, louder, but they ignore me.

I turn my attention back to the TV and glare at the screen. Just then Mom walks into the room, she doesn't look very happy, "Tyler, can you turn that off?" The twins look up in protest but I just lift the remote and press off. I think I know what this is about, and I need to soften her up.

"Chloe was just telling me the most interesting story." She says.

Yep, I'm defiantly in big trouble. I go for the innocent act, "What about?" Giving her my best, I'm your sweet little boy, Mom look.

"You know that book report your sister's been working so hard on?"

I nod silently.

"Well, she found it this morning covered in your slime," she holds up the coated piece of paper, "It's completely ruined. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?"

"No, of course not Mommy." I give a sweet smile.

Mom shakes her head and points to the stairs, "Down stairs, young man. Apologize to your sister and help her with anything she asks you to do."

"Aww, Mom, but I'm in the middle of a show."

"That's cute, you think you get to watch TV today." She points to the stairs again.

When I get down stairs Chloe is sitting on the couch in the game room. She glares at me, "Tyler," she wines, "What is wrong with you!"

"Sorry." I mumble. "Mom says I have to help you with whatever you want."

Chloe smiles a little, then sighs, "Why'd you do it?"

I give her my most evil smile, "Why not?"

Chloe gives me a look, "You know how hard I've been working on that paper."

I feel really bad now, "I'm sorry, Chlo. I really am."

Chloe lets a small smile slip, and gets a malicious glint in her eye, "How much trouble did you get in?"

"Tons! No TV all day!" I say.

Chloe laughs, "Seems fair. Consider us even." She pulls me into a side hug. "I'll make a list of my chores you can take over for the day."

I groan and run up the stairs as fast as I can.

Later that day, Peyton wants to go swimming, and since I'm being punished, I have to go in with her while Mom monitors from the deck.

Peyton is laughing as she drags me towards the pool, "Hurry, Tyler, hurry."

I sigh; it's going to be a long afternoon.

After about a half hour of having my six-year-old sister splash me in my face, it's time to go in for dinner.

I drag Peyton out of the pool and hand her a towel, while she wines about having to get out. I swear that girl is like a fish. When Peyton and I finally get inside, dinner is on the table.

You should see how much food it takes to feed 8 people. When everyone is sitting down Mom begins passing around bowls of food. Once everything is dished out, we all get to dig in.

After dinner everyone helps with clean up. Chloe and Cason are laughing and flicking soap suds at each other.

Dad picks up the Hannah and tosses her over his shoulder and she giggles uncontrollably. Peyton trips and almost falls down but Cason reaches out and catches her.

Chloe grabs Zoe's hand and pulls her into the middle of the room and splashes her with water. Zoe offers a small smile and splashes her back.

Suddenly I remember something.

Five-year-old me is crouched in the corner of a dark kitchen, a loud voice booms, "Get those dishes done, boy." I scurry over to the sink where a pile over dirty plates sit, I pick up the first one and scrub it, as hard as I can with my tiny five-year-old hands.

Breathing hard, I try to keep my panic from showing. After almost four years with my forever family most of my bad memories have faded. I can't imagine what it must be like to be Chloe or Cason, who I know had it way worse than me. I slip over to my mom and give her hug, without pause she squeezes me back hard, and I calm down.