I... (In Editing)

"Having someone to love is family.
Having somewhere to go is home.

Having both is a blessing."

Zoe

I sit at the table across from my father. "Your Bradley's want to fight me in court," He sneers.

I nod slowly, careful not to let my smile slip. He hasn't hit me, or shown any sign that he might. But I'm always cautious, old habits die hard. I pick up my fork and scoop up the last of my breakfast, shoveling it into my mouth. Then I sit silently, realizing I have no reason to leave, school's still out. Lucky for me since I'm not really in the mood to be the new kid again.

After what seems like years, my father stands and places his dish in the sink, allowing me to do the same. He stares at me for a minute, and opens his mouth, then closes it again, turning to leave.

"When is the court date?"

He spins around and I flinch backwards, he sighs, "Next Monday is the preliminary hearing." With that he turns and leaves me alone.

A wide smile covers my face. I close my eyes and think, in just one week I'll see my family again.
___

I wake up early Monday morning. I barely slept at all. My mind racing until almost 1:00 am. I slip quietly into the bathroom and shower. I slip on one of my nicest dresses. I towel dry my hair until it's hanging in curly ringlets. I pull it back so it won't be in my face.

I realize how nervous I am when my hands shake putting toothpaste on my toothbrush. I take a deep breath, trying to remember that I can't change what's going to happen today, all I can do is hope for the best.

When my father finally wakes up and gets ready to go I worry we'll be late but then I think that might help my case, so I don't rush him. When he looks at the time and rushes me out of the house I can't help but smile a little bit.

The drive to the court house is short. When we pull into it, the parking lot is almost empty, but I recognize the Bradley's minivan parked a few spaces over. I climb out of the car and speed walk towards the front door. When we walk in the woman sitting alone on one side of the room looks relieved, she must be my dad's lawyer. I smile at Bridger and Alanna, and the rows behind them filled by everyone else.

My dad takes a seat next to the lawyer lady as one of the officials points me to a table in the middle. I sit down and wave to the Bradley's.

"Please rise. Honorable Judge Alex presiding," booms a voice. I stand quickly, and watch as a weathered old man in a long black robe walks up to the beach and takes a seat.

"Well let's get though this, shall we? Who is the minor in question?"

"Me-e, Sir," I stammer. A chill runs down my spine, and my stomach churns. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?