Trouble (In Editing)

"It's not always going to be easy, but it's always going to be worth it."

Zoe

I look down at my lap, shifting uncomfortably in the plastic chair outside the principal's office. I'm such an idiot, and now I messed up everything.
___

Earlier that morning...
I grab my bag from the back seat and swing it over my shoulder. I notice it's hanging open, but we're already late so I don't stop to close it.

"Hey, Zoe!" Someone yells from behind me. I turn to see Jane Andrews, carrying a huge clay model of a globe. "Help me with my bag would you?"

I nod and take the bag off her shoulder as we race to the school. But just as we rush though the the doorway, the zipper catches on a door handle and the bag rips open, scattering everything on the floor. I see it glinting there, a knife, and when I look up I see Mr. Jackson standing over me. "Zoe Whitman, principals office! Now!"
___

"Miss Whitman, he's ready for you," the assistant calls.

I swallow hard, and stand. If I'm in a lot of trouble, they'll surely call Alanna and Bridger. And if I can't prove it wasn't my knife , they'll send me away in an instant.

I walk into Principle Baker's office, he nods at the seat across from him. "Zoe, I'm afraid this is a very serious offense. Having a weapon on school grounds is not only against our rules, but against the law. It is an automatic suspension or even expulsion."

Fear fills me, I can't get suspended, I wouldn't even get to stay with the Bradley's long enough to be allowed back in school. "I didn't do anything, I swear. The knife wasn't mine."

He sighs, and I can tell he doesn't believe me. "Since you're new here, and have no record of trouble at any of your other schools, I suppose I can let you off with a weeklong suspension."

I'm crying now, "Please don't...don't call them. I like it here, I don't want to leave," I blubber. He seems unfazed by my tears and picks up the phone.

"Hi Mrs. Bradley, this is principal Baker." He pauses to listen to something, then continues, "I'm afraid Zoe's gotten herself into some trouble." He nods, "Yes, I need you to come in. She's suspended for the next week. I think I'll let her explain. Ok, thanks." He looks up at me, "She'll be here in about 20 minutes."

Great I get 20 minutes before I get kicked out and sent to who knows where. And all for something I didn't do. I put my head in my hands and sob.
___

When I hear the door behind me bang open, I look up. It's Alanna, looking frazzled and worried. She walks over and kneels in front of me. "Hey sweetie."

I look up at her my eyes filled with tears, "Are you going to send me away?"

"No, nothing would ever make us send you away." She squeezes my hands tightly, then spins around, "What is wrong with you. You bring my baby in here and scare her half to death. You should not be allowed to run a school..."

"Mrs. Bradley I had no choice. If you understood the circumstances, you would understand that..."

Alanna cuts him off, "It doesn't matter what happened, you never have the right to treat a child this way. Look at her she's been crying, and you didn't even care." She gets up in his face, "If you ever treat one of my kids this way again I'll have you fired. Not that it be that difficult." She turns to me, "Come on, Zoe, we're going home."

She grabs my hand, and we walk out of the school side by side.

When we reach the car, she turns and looks at me, "You ok?"

"I guess," I shrug.

"It's going to be fine you can hang out with me at work for the week."

"It's not that, it's just, I thought you wouldn't want me anymore."

"I know. Sweetheart, I want you to listen to me very closely, you need to hear this. You are my daughter. We love you unconditionally. Nothing could ever happen that would change that."

I'm crying again, these days I can't seem to stop. Alanna reaches back and hugs me. "So what happened anyway?"

I laugh, wiping my eyes, "This morning as I was walking into school..."