Home Again (In Editing)

"Home.
A place your feet may leave,
But your heart will always be."

Zoe

I'm sitting in the back of Mrs. Anderson's car, just as I have so many times before. My bag rests on the seat next to me, packed full of everything I own. But it's so very different this time. I know where I'm going, I know the people there. It's where I want to be. As the car turns on to the familiar street, I stare out the window, waiting for my first glance at home.

When the car turns into the driveway, I have my door open and I'm climbing out of the car, almost before it comes to a complete stop. I dash up the driveway and am almost up the front steps when the door swings open and Chloe tackles me with a hug, followed quickly by Cason, the twins, Tyler, and my soon to be a parents.

Those words seems so foreign to me. Like a dream I never thought would come true.

Mom. Dad. Brother. Sister. I roll the words around in my head familiarizing myself with them. Almost like I'm speaking a foreign language.

It's funny that I saw them just an hour earlier, but it doesn't matter. I missed them even in that short amount of time. I wonder if this is what having a family always feels like, so that when your away from them you wish you weren't.

As we head inside, I lean on Chloe's shoulder. My balance is off since a seven year old is attached to my right leg. Peyton, having not understood where I was the past few weeks, now refuses to let me go, even for a second. I limp inside, laughing with Chloe, and carefully keeping Peyton from falling or hitting her head.

We sit down at the dining room table. Catching up on everything I've missed in the month I was with my father.

Hannah lost both her front teeth and talks with a lisp.

Chloe got a roll in the summer production of Alice and Wonderland.

I worried it would be different after everything that's happened. But nothing's changed.

___

At around 8:00 I let out a yawn. At some point we'd moved into the living room and settled into the couch. Alanna gives me a worried glance, "Maybe you should go to bed, sweetie. It's been a long day."

I feel tears fill my eyes, it's so nice to have someone care about you enough to worry about you. I shake my head, "Not yet."

"Zo..." Bridger tries.

"I'm fine," I assure him. I can tell they don't believe me, "I promise. I want to be with everyone a little while longer."

I rest my chin on the top of Peyton's head. Wrapping my arm more tightly around her.

Alanna smiles at me from the other side of Cason. "The twins, at least have to go to bed." Hannah starts to wine, but Alanna cuts her off, "Zoe will be here in the morning. And every morning after that." She winks at me.

I can't help it I smile wide. Because that is all I've ever wanted.