We're Going on a Trip (In Editing)

"You don't have to believe we'll be here for you, you just have to let us prove it."

Zoe

Time passes quickly in the winter, and school is strange. I've been here long enough to make a friend. I've never felt I could before. Her name is Grace, she is kind and brave. She doesn't judge me just because I'm in foster care. She is the only one.

Except for Cason, who always makes a point of saying hi when he passes me in the halls. In other schools I've been in no one noticed me unless they had something mean to say.

Now I have a friend, a family and hope. Except that none of it is permanent. At least not in my mind. I can't believe they'll always be there for me, no one ever has before.
___

Winter break; in my other foster homes I always dreaded the week at home, where I would get little food and plentiful beatings. But this year I was excited, a whole week to relax at home.

At least that's what I thought, until about a week ago when I found out the Bradley's are going on vacation. They fly out tomorrow morning, I don't know where they'll send me, but I'm not going to the resort with them. Who'd take their foster kid with them on vacation?

Alanna comes in, "You all packed?"

"Um, yeah. Where am I going?"

"We don't leave until tomorrow, Zoe. I just wanted to make sure you were ready."

"I know when you're leaving, I meant me. Where am I going?"

"Zoe, you're coming with us. Did you think we were leaving you here?"

I shrug, "You said family vacation."

She smiles, "Yeah, our whole family. That includes you. Zoe, we've been over this."

I laugh, and stand up to hug her, I forget how different this family is from everyone else. "Thank you."

"Pack an extra bathing suit, there's an indoor water park." And she walks out the door.
___

The next morning, we climb into the car, half asleep. It's 4:00 am. Bridger and Cason carry the twins, letting them sleep.

I'm so happy to be included, I nearly bounce in my seat. The drive to the airport takes about thirty minutes. And when we pull into the parking lot the twins awake.

We pull the bags out of the back and walk towards the boarding area. Once we make it through security and find a seat by our gate, it is almost time to board. The flight takes five hours. And we arrive in Texas around 10:00.