...home! (In Editing)

"In case we don't meet again in this lifetime, know that I have forgiven you. That's the least I can do for the wonderful life I have now."

Zoe

It the last day in court and today when I walk out the big wood doors I'll know where I'm going to be calling home. First, though, I have to testify to the grumpy Judge.

But maybe just maybe, after all this, I'll get to go home.

I keep my hands clasped tightly in my lap while the Judge reviews the last two days. Then his voice calls out, "Miss. Whitman?"

I stand on shaky legs and tiptoe up to the stand afraid one wrong move could change his mind one way or another.

"Alright, Miss Whitman, which of these families would you prefer to live with?"

I don't hesitate, "The Bradley's."

"Why?"

I take a deep breath, "They're my family. Your honor, I grew up in the foster care system, I never felt at home anywhere. But then I ended up on the Bradley's doorstep, and they brought me into there home and made my feel safe and happy." I take a deep breath and glance over at my father, "I don't have anything against my father, not anymore. Because of him I found a place that makes me happy. Please, sir, let me go home."

"Has your father ever hit you?"

I suck in a deep breath, I remember the pain shooting though my cheek, when he would slap my. My face red and tear streaked. "When I was little, after my mom died," I chock on my words and have to pause a minute before I can continue, "Yes."

The Judge nods, his face still impassive, I wish for once he would give a hint of what he was thinking.
"And since you moved back in with him?"

"No, your honor."

He nods again and glance down at his notes. "Mr. Whitman, is what Miss Whitman says true?"

My father stands up, "Yes, sir. I will admit that I have made some horrible mistakes in the past, hurt the people I loved, but I want a change to make it right."

"Is that you final statement or is there something you would like to add?"

"That will be all, your honor."

I take another deep breath, and cross my fingers.

"Mr. and Mrs. Bradley?"

Alanna stands up first, "You've heard what everyone has to say. Please, I beg you send out baby home to us."

Bridger adds from next to her, "Please."

I smile, then close my eyes and hope. After everything I've been though, everything that's ever gone wrong in my life, starting with my mom, I pray that for once something will go right.

"I've made my decision." I open my eyes and stare at him with everyone else. "After hearing everyone's opinion, and what you, Miss. Whitman, want. I think I know what's best for the Zoe. That is always are biggest concern in these situations." Get in with it, I think, "I'm sorry, Mr. Whitman, but I think Zoe belongs with the Bradley's." I blink and a huge smile breaks onto my face. I squeal and quickly run towards Alanna and Bridger . They wrap me up in their arms.

I'm crying tears of joy, laughing. Chloe hugs me from behind, Cason only a few steps behind her. The twins and Tyler slip though so they're in the middle with me. We hug and cry and laugh.

When we come up for air, Mrs. Anderson is standing near by. "I'm very happy for you, Zoe."

"Thank you."

"When you're ready I can drive you over to the house to pick up your stuff and I'll take you back to the Bradley's."

"Okay," I say, still giddy.
___

When we get back to my father's apartment, he is sitting on the front steps, waiting. He must have slipped out right after the verdict, since I hadn't seen him there.

"Hi," I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear, nervously.

He smiles weakly, "You here to pick up your stuff?"

"Yeah."

He motions me inside. It only takes a few seconds to pack my bags.

As I hurry out the door, I stop and look at my bag, "Goodbye."

"Bye, Zoe, I'm happy for you. I hope you have a wonderful life."

"You too," I say, and I mean it.