Or Not (In Editing)

"She's a keeper,
too bad you didn't keep her."

Zoe

It's my freshman graduation and my family is here to see. I even see Mrs. Anderson in the back row too. I'm happy, I'm loved, and I'm safe. This is the best day of my life.

And then I see someone I never thought I'd see again, I hadn't wanted to, my father. He walked into the auditorium, like he belongs there. When he sees me, sitting up on the stage, he waves like it isn't his fault that I lived 7 years feeling unloved, unwanted and alone. Like after all this time he still has the right to act like he didn't throw away his only child. Like he is still my father, he even has the nerve to smile and I can't take it. I stand and run off the stage. I hear the Bradley's calling out my name, but I don't stop, I need to get as far as I can from him.

But before I can reach the door Cason blocks my path, "Zoe, what is it?" he asks, his voice full of concern. I just shake my head and try to pull away. "Z, talk to me, whatever it is."

But before I can say anything, the rest of the Bradley's catch up, all talking at once, wanting to know what's wrong.

All I can do is point at my father who is also on his way toward me.

Before anymore questions can be asked, he says, "Hello, Zoe," then to the Bradley's, "I'm Zoe's father."

The next 10 minutes are all a blur, Mrs. Anderson was there talking to my father and Alanna. Everyone else is trying to calm me down but I was spinning.

My father was here, he had left me but now he was here. The people who had made me feel safe and loved for the first time in years were here too. They were going to adopt me, they wanted to adopt me, I was supposed to get a family. And now what? Would that change? Would my father ruin my life a second time? What if they didn't want me? What if I just wasn't meant to be happy? It certainly seemed that way, since every time something good happened to me, it got screwed up. I was stupid and silly to think this time would be different. That was the loop playing over and over in my head.

But then Alanna was hugging me and leading me out the door with everyone else right behind us and I could hear my father yelling, "This is wrong, she is my daughter, she should be with me, not you."

And I knew that at least for now I was safe, at least for now my father hadn't ruined anything.

But I didn't think this was end.