16. WHO'S KISSING WHO?!?

Lacey

I'm so nervous. Travis is holding my hand, trying to keep me calm, but it's totally not working.

"How bad could it be?" he asks.

"Bad," I confess. Once Soph finds out about...us...him...this? I don't even know what to call it. But she will. And that's all I'm going to hear for days.

Months.

For however long whatever this is lasts.

"I'm sure she'll be supportive. She's your best friend, that's gotta count for more than you think." His arm goes around my shoulder and then pulls me into his chest. I wonder if the tingles I get every time we touch will fade away soon. I hope not.

My head rests on his shoulder, and I close my eyes. It's been exhausting today. We had to pack everything up, and yes I begrudgingly admitted that I brought too much stuff. To Travis' credit he kept his mouth shut about it.

Until our second trip from the site to where the driver was meeting us. Then he grouched a little. I promised to make him dinner to make up for all of the hiking, and that seemed to work.

Especially when he mentioned dessert. But I don't think he meant cake...

"Listen, I've got problems too. Luc is going to cut me to pieces." Travis looks down at me and kisses my forehead. "But I don't really care that much about what he says."

I just shrug, still not looking forward to Sophie's harsh judgment. It's coming, I know it.

We're arriving back later than planned so Travis packed us both up in one car, and the rest of the bags in what was supposed to be my separate car. He said he wasn't letting me go that easy. Which also gave me tingles, to be honest.

First thing Travis told me when we woke up was that he needed to do an interview with me.

"Why did you wait til the last day?" I asked him, still half asleep and wanting to stay that way as long as possible.

"Because until now, I would have been interviewing your persona, not the real girl. Now I want to know you." he explained.

Wow. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm incredibly lucky, or totally insane. I'm sure Sophie will let me know which one as soon as I pull up to our apartment.

"I can't take the pressure!" I blurt.

Travis just gives me a squeeze as we round the corner of my block. The car pulls up to the sidewalk and I'm surprised to see Sophie already standing there.

"It's like she knew I was just getting here," I mumbled.

"Did you text her?" Travis asked.

"No." I shook my head.

We get out of the car, me first and Travis right behind me, and I stand firmly to face Sophie and whatever she might spout about the company I have with me. I'm doubly surprised when I'm met with Sophie's smirk, and some strange guy standing behind her...who then wraps his arms around her! What the heck?

My mouth is hanging open as she turns to him and says, "Well, Luc, looks like we both lost."

Luc?!?

He smirks at Travis, then looks back at Soph, "Nah, I think we both won. Now we can collect our prizes."

"Bro, what in the dang hell is going on?" Travis asks.

"Seems like that's what I should be asking you, man," Luc replies.

"Soph?" I ask quietly, an unspoken plea for information.

"What can I say, looks like camping with Travis was a pretty good idea after all." She shrugs. My eyebrows shoot up. "Hey, when I'm wrong I admit it," she adds.

Travis and I look at each other. This whole thing was certainly unexpected. I have no idea how his friend and Sophie met, and at this point I'm not sure I want to know.

But I do have to agree with her on one point, camping with Travis has turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done.

^^^^^

Ahh! The secret's out! Looks like they all have some 'splaning to do (that's an I Love Lucy reference BTW)...

Clickbait will be fun this time 😉