Chapter 10--Clint Eastwood Would Be Proud

Logan

I got a call from Mikala early in the morning. Too early for my liking. But she said she and the Weirdos were ready to head out. I grabbed Sur's leash along with a few other things I put in my bag. Then we got into my car. Let me tell you something about my car: It's a rusty piece of shit and I love it.

I've never been a big car enthusiastic—unlike the rest of my high school friends. But I have always loved Mater from Cars. He inspired me to get an old car. And you know, I hardly ever drive it so when I do I typically don't have problems...typically. Other than that, I'm not the only one that loves my car. Sur does too. He knows that whenever he gets into my car it's going to be either a very exciting day or a trip to the vet. It doesn't take him long to realize we aren't going to the vet.

By the time I arrive to the small market, Mikala and Kris are already pitching a tent. I quickly jog over to join them. When we're done with the tent, I tie up Sur to us. He doesn't care that he's tied up. He's just curious as to what we're doing.

"Forecast said it might rain later," Kris says to me as we arrange all the clothes on our table. People around us are also pitching their tents and displaying their merchandise.

"Hopefully it won't catch us," I reply handing her a stack of shirts.

Penny stops by to drop off the rest of the boxes. She doesn't look me in the eye most of the time but I know it's probably because she feels awkward talking to someone she doesn't know well. After dropping everything off with a few friends, she promises to try and head back over as soon as Harper arrives.

Harper isn't here to help us in the morning because she has a class with the Munchkins. That's what I call the little kids: Munchkins. Not only because they're cute, but they're also so itty-bitty. Most of them are afraid of me. There's a few that love me but once their moms see my lip ring they instantly pull their kids back. It's fine, I'm used to the reaction.

When we're finally done setting up, I take a seat in the uncomfortable plastic chair. Sur looks up at me and wags his tail as I rub my hand through his head. There are a few people walking through the empty street. They'll look through a few stands before they keep going. Every so often, we'd get someone to stop by our tent.

"Don't worry," Mikala reassures me as she takes a seat next to me. "Rush hour isn't for another hour or so and you're going to be here all afternoon. If you don't sell everything, we can just do it again."

I sigh in relief and nod at her words. She's right. I'm just overreacting and getting anxious over something that I don't need to be anxious about right now. I can do this. And by this, I mean calm down enough to enjoy the day. "Thanks Mikala," I say.

She pats my shoulder lightly before looking down at her phone. She and I stay back for a while and let Dan and Kris do all the talking. Mikala and I don't look...approachable. It's something stereotypical that people see in us. Mikala looks threatening and I'm a guy who seems to face trouble. So we let the two other Weirdos do the selling bit. Kris fakes an extra nice smile and Dan's gay-ness is like an instant indication to women that he has a good sense of fashion.

"You know," Kris hands me some more money she got from selling a shirt. "You both could help."

"I'm managing the cash register," I say taking the wad of dollars and putting it into the box Dan brought.

Kris stares at Mikala as if accusing her of being lazy. She sighs out while flipping her metallic hair to the shaved side, "I'm your ride here and back. Plus, the cash register needs a bodyguard."

I chuckle as Kris and Dan roll their eyes and continue trying to attract people with their looks. Mikala and I fist bump and just as I put in some more money in the box, I hear my name being called out. "Lo," Someone shouts out in the distant.