Chapter 18--Thanksgiving With The Sanders

Harper

Mr. Sanders and his wife are probably the most typical suburban parents you're ever going to meet. Mrs. Sanders jogs every morning. She's joined several different activities ever since Vincent has left for college. And I remember she used to be a parent volunteer at school. She loves to bake and cook and although she has a job, she was always home for Vincent and I. Perks of being an elementary school teacher.

Mr. Sanders has a regular everyday job where he wears a suit and tie while carrying a brief case. He car pools with a few coworkers sometimes to save gas and money. Usually on the weekends he likes to mow the yard. Occasionally, he'll pull out the grill to make our favorite barbecue. It's all pretty basic if we're being honest but I love it. I love how simple yet fulfilling Vincent's parents are.

Vincent picked me up from my dorm earlier today. I'm glad we have Thanksgiving break. Our school give us a week off. Some of Vincent's old high school friends only have a few days. But for us it means spending more time with family. We leave a day after break begins just because a lot of Friends-givings are happening on campus. Penny invites us to a sorority party where we all stuff ourselves with cupcakes. But when Vincent and I are finally in the car on our way to his house, I feel like my insides get warmer.

Here's the thing about family and me—I've never had my own family and no matter how much I love the Sanders they're always going to be the people that took me in. I love them for it but it's also intimidating. Losing them would probably be the worst thing to ever happen to me.

"Is that a new shirt?" Vincent asks me along the drive. We decided to stop by a McDonald's to get some fries and McFlurries. To no surprise the machine was 'broken.' We got the fries at McDonald's then stopped at Wendy's to get vanilla frosties. What's the point of getting fries if you're not going to dunk them in vanilla ice cream?

"Yeah," I smile and look down at the shirt Kris had given me. Remember how I said I like oldies rock? Well apparently, Kris is a huge fan too. She owns several original concert tees her father gave her. She told me most smelled like weed when he pulled out the box. She had to run them through the washer several times.

The one I'm wearing is Rolling Stones. It's big on me considering Kris' father is probably a lot taller than I am. But with some skinny jeans it just looks oversized. I love it. "Kris gave it to me," I smile at Vincent. "Like it?"

He chuckles softly, "It's cool. I didn't know you liked Rolling Stones."

"You know I like rock."

"I guess so," Vincent pushes a smile and munches on one of the last fries. "The only one I can recall is Paint It, Black."

I chuckle, "That's Lo's favorite Rolling Stones song."

Vincent shakes his head even though the corner of his lip is lifted up into a small smile. "That's depressing."

I bite my lip and scrape the bottom of the frosty cup with my spoon. "Just a bit I guess," I say trying not to show to much emotion. I really do feel like a terrible friend to Lo. I probably should have taken notice more to his small little quirks even though he told me not to worry about it.

I look out the window as the trees start the fade together. I feel Vincent's hand wrap around mine and he gives me a reassuring squeeze. His hands are just like his lips—soft and warm. When we first started dating I always teased him for having soft hands. Turns out it's just natural. I squeeze his hand back.

Logan's hand is bigger, I think before I can stop myself. I squeeze Vincent's hand to remember it's him and not Lo.

The views outside become familiar. In just a few minutes, I'm sitting up straighter and turn to look ahead of us. I know these streets. Familiar stores, restaurants, and grocery stores suddenly sprout up everywhere I look. We're getting closer to Vincent's house.