Chapter 17.5--The Proper Distance To Keep Away From A Campfire

Logan

After dropping Harper off, I quickly drive over to Veronica's place. I promised my sister that because I was going to stop by the city, I would go and have dinner with her and Hudson. I know I should have stayed and possibly helped Harper out with the twins, but she looked like she had everything covered.

I pull into the apartment complex building that belongs to Veronica and hand my keys to the valet. This place is too fancy for its own good. It's a large skyscraper that houses most of the wealthy people that live in the city. This also means that the moment I walk in I'm greeted by chandeliers, fountains, and a receptionist who's smile is way too fake.

"How may I help you?" She asks me politely with that same creepy doll smile.

"I'm having dinner with my sister," I tell her with my own grin. "Penthouse number one."

She eyes me over. First starting with my face before traveling down my body. The piercing really does make people think I'm a punk. I find it somewhat amusing. The receptionist picks up her phone and dials Veronica's house. I'm used to this process too. Every time I come visit Veronica instead of letting me through they always call and make sure I'm expected. Except for this one old receptionist who thinks I'm cool and loves seeing me.

"Yes I'll let him right up," The current receptionist says with a nod. She wishes my sister a good-night before nodding towards the elevator. "I'll send you up."

I push a smile, "Thank you."

As I get into the elevator, I'm suddenly surrounded by jazz music. I glance at the panel of buttons and wait for the P1 light to go off. Usually, I'd need a key to get up to the penthouse, but here the receptionist can hit the button from her desk. Once it lights up, the doors close and the elevator starts to move upwards.

Veronica bribed me to come tonight by saying she was going to make my favorite dish. Just the thought of my mother's old chicken pot pie has my mouth watering. The elevator stops at the top of the building after a few seconds. The doors open only to lead to a second door so I go ahead and knock.

I expect Veronica but I'm greeted by Hudson. He's combed his hair back with gel. His glasses are sitting on the bridge of his nose. I can't help noticing his khaki's and sweater. I swear you'll never find a guy that looks so much like a college professor. I don't know how he ended up with my sister.

He smiles at me and I smile back. "Hey Lo," He says letting me step out of the elevator. He locks the door behind me and sets up the safety feature. I've always wondered if it's possible to open the door when the elevator isn't waiting on the other side. Think about it, someone could fall stories down because through the elevators chasm.

"How's it going Hudson?" I ask as I kick my shoes off by the front mat.

Veronica is a neat freak. I mean, this house is absolutely spotless. Everything is modern and white. The tables are made of glass instead of wood. If it's not white or glass, it's just straight up metal. Because everything is white, it also means Veronica has someone who comes weekly to clean the penthouse. She hates having a mess but she's also too "busy" to clean.

Hudson shrugs, "Alright. I spent the whole day looking at color schemes and matching flowers. Your sister wants a huge wedding."

I smirk, "Did you expect anything less?"

Hudson smiles softly, "No."

"Hey baby brother," Veronica rounds the corner barefoot. She's wearing a white dress shirt underneath her gray sweater with dark jeans. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail and I'm glad to see she isn't wearing a lot of make-up. She walks towards me and gives me a kiss on the cheek before grabbing her purse. "I've got to go run to the store real quick, it's right across the street I'll be back in ten minutes."