Nothingness

"Hi," I lift my good hand to wave awkwardly.

I had never met Nate's father before; I knew he was a doctor but had no Idea what he looked like. Looking at his eyes I can tell where Nate gets his striking hazel eyes, and if you focus enough, you're able to see the gold flecks swimming in that beautiful hazelnut color.

I think he noticed me creepily staring into his eyes, because he clears his throat and starts listing the things wrong with me.

"The burn on your arm was very bad when they brought you into the hospital, but we were able to treat them without too much trouble, I'm very glad that Nathan was able to reach you," He points to his son with a proud look on his face, pure adoration in his eyes. I wish I can remember the last time my father looked at me that way.

The thought of my dad rips through the stitches that I had sown between the broken pieces that are called Olivia Westfall.

"And my father?" I ask with a hint of hope in my voice, that maybe, just maybe, they were able to get him out.

"I'm sorry Olivia," Dr. Baker puts his hand on my shoulder.

And that's when broken pieces turn into shattered one.

"The firefighters came in late and they couldn't get him out. After I had helped you out of the house, I went back for him, but there was too much flames. I'm so sorry Ollie, I'm sorry I couldn't get him out," The desperation in Nate's voice makes me reach for his hand. And I squeeze it in conformation that it wasn't his fault, that he had saved my life and I was grateful for my knight in shining armor, and somehow, he understood without me having to say a word. And he responds with a squeeze which I'm sure meant 'okay'.

Feeling Dr. Baker's heated gaze on our conjoined hands. I immediately let go embarrassed.

"Do they know who started the fire?" I direct the question to no one specific.

Dr. Baker clears his throat and tries to say this as softly as possible, but I already know that's not possible.

"They say the fire started from a liquor bottle and a lit cigarette; they found a pack of them next to the body. And traces of alcohol all over the floor, and considering your father is a bit of an addict it comes to no surprise," He says with a monotone voice with no feeling in it whatsoever.

And him describing my father as a corpse causes the floodgate behind my eyes to crack open a little, and a tear manages to escape.

He seems to notice and remorse is written all over his face. "I'm sorry for my cold response, it's just that I'm used to it and I have to keep all emotions at bay so the patient can grieve themselves, its instinct," He smiles at me.

"It's fine, I'm okay. It's just that it's been a long day." So much has happened I'm surprised I haven't collapsed back to sleep since I still feel exhausted. "How long have I been unconscious?" I ask.

"For about a day," Nate answers.

Oh my god.

Xavier.

Panic stars crawling at my stomach and slowly latches onto my heart.

I frantically turn my head towards the doctor. "I need to talk to the cops please," My urgent tone startles them.

"Why? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Nathan rushes closer, inspecting me thoroughly.

"Yes, I'm fine, but I need to speak to them right now, please," My voice wavering, I need to tell them about Xavier, I've waited too long.

"You're unstable right now, maybe leave it for another day so you can rest for now." Dr. Baker says with a soothing voice. Sleep sounds amazing right now but I can't do that. Each second I wait, Xavier suffers even more. What if they had tied him up and they were torturing him slowly? The thought makes me jump up; I do not need any sleep right now.

"I told you I'm fine, I feel perfectly rested. Now if you'll please get the police," I turn to Nathan with a pleading look in my eyes and he seems to understand, and exits the room. I don't know if I could've gone through all of this without him, he was the only thing holding me together right now.

Right after he left the doctor checks on how I was doing, asking me questions like how old I am, what school I go to, and making small talk. I thanked him in my mind for the distraction but as soon as he was finished with checking my vitals, two policemen walked in. A man and a woman.

The woman looked confident like she was ready to kick some ass with her amazing dark hair and warm chocolate brown eyes, the other policeman was very smiley and blonde, he looked like a Malibu Barbie but not in a bad way either.

They both greeted us and Nathan walked behind them.

"Hello there, Olivia is it? What a beautiful name," Smiley said with kind eyes. I nod my head, murmuring a silent thank you.

"Pretty boy here said that there was an emergency, you had something to tell us?" The woman asks me with a gentle curious look.

I clear my throat, then look at Nathan's father hopefully getting the hint so he could leave, I can't trust anyone else with this information. Xavier was counting on me now.

He nods his head leaves the room, Nathan following him. I wanted to ask him to stay but I'm not sure if I trust him right now, I mean I barely know him, it's been years since I've last seen him and who knows how much has changed between us.

Smiley introduced himself as Dave Lancaster and the woman, his partner was Nadine Lewis, they sure were an interesting pare. Dave pulls out his small notebook and tells me to let it all out and I do.

"I'd like to report a kidnapping, the boy that was kidnapped is Xavier Jordan." My heart clenches at the mention of his name, maybe what he had to tell me is connected to him getting kidnapped.

"Care to explain?"

I tell them everything that had happened that night. From his kidnapping to me going home to a house lit on fire while my dying abusive father burned to death. After they had wrote down the important information and reassured me that they will look into it, I stop them before they could leave.

"My father, when I ran in to save him, he had a gunshot wound. I think the fire was just a cover up," My voice wavering a little, the death of my father still trying to settle into my mind but I can't process it, I had lost my home, the last bit of my family, and my potential friend all in one night, and I was just left with nothingness, complete and absolute nothingness.

"We had inspected the body, and there were no gunshot wounds, but the burns were too deep and couldn't have been seen properly," Nadia contemplated.

"Yes, but there was no evidence of a self-inflicted fire, the bottle had tipped over while your father was smoking and it had fell on the floor starting the fire," Dave says while approaching me. He takes a hold of my hand and continues, "I know it's hard to accept the fact that your father had died in such a ridiculous way, but I don't think making up another scenario is a good way to accept that he is gone," I hate the look of pity in his eyes, and I hate the fact that he thinks I'm making this up because I didn't want to admit that my father was an alcoholic.

I rip my hand out of his grip and glare at him. I've been through enough in the past 48 hours and I'm not about to have smiley here tell me that I'm making excuses for my father.

"Hard? I just lost my dad and my childhood home! So, forgive me if I want to know the truth of how it actually happened and not blindly trust the facts in front of me," I raise my voice slightly.

Nadine butts in before this gets any messier.

"Don't worry Olivia, we'll find Xavier and look into the fire and see if there is anything unusual," She nods her head towards me and ushers Dave out of the door. I wasn't stupid, I know they won't give my father's case another look.

I guess I'll have to take matters into my own hands. 

_________________________________________________________

HEY GUYS
Got a chapter finished earlier than expected and I am proud of myself. Hope you liked it.
Thoughts on the chapter, ideas on where you think this is going?