Colors

One tiny problem.

I have no idea how to start this crap, in movies they make it seem so easy to find a lead or something but I'm lost on where to begin.

Well there is another way....

I did what any sane person would do, I googled it.

And I obviously got no results. Well, there goes that option.

I need to start a plan, after I get out of this hospital the first thing, I'm gonna do is hit the library, watch as much Sherlock Holmes episodes as possible, and see if that'll lead me anywhere.

But then it hits me, I have nowhere to go. My house has been reduced to a pile of ashes, both of my parents are dead, and as far as I know I don't have any relatives that I can live with. I don't turn 18 until another year.

I won't be able to find out what happened to Xavier and my father if they threw me into a foster home. Just as the thought crosses my mind, Nathan walks in with the biggest smile on his face.

"What?" I question right away.

"What do you mean what? Can't a guy smile with having an agenda behind it?" He replies with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Seriously Nathan what'd you do?" I glare at him.

"Well a certain social worker came to ask if you had any alive relatives and I happened to come across their path on their way to your room, they asked me if you were awake and I, of course said no, because I know you don't have any relatives and I sure as hell wasn't gonna let her take you away after all you've been through. So, I told her that our parents are distant cousins and that you'll be living with us from now on," He finishes with a wink, as if what he just said wasn't enough to make my heart fall apart.

I was speechless.

This boy was surely my knight in shining armor, no question. I clear my throat and try to wipe the wonder on my face.

"Why would you do that? Did you even ask your dad if you could do that?" I hide my relief because this was too good to be true, I refuse to let my hopes up.

"Yeah, I asked him before and he obviously said yes, he wasn't about to let his best friend's daughter to be taken to a foster home." I almost cry with relief, but something shocks me.

"Our parents knew each other?" My father never mentioned Nathans father but we never had a chance to have a conversation so I wouldn't know.

"Yup I just found out, Isn't that awesome?"

"Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me," I muster up enough energy for a smile.

"I always got your back Ollie."

If I wanted to find out what happened that night and I needed help, the perfect and only candidate was in front of me.

"Nate, I need your help with something," Hopefully he won't run away when I tell him.

"Yeah sure, anything." He pulls up a chair next to my hospital bed.

And so, I tell him everything, from Xavier saving me from getting hit by a truck and to finding the gunshot wound on my father, and as I tell him the story I can tell he's listening by the crease of his forehead, and when it got interesting he would pinch his lips between forefinger and thumb.

"I need your help with finding whoever did this but I have no idea how to start, I'm desperate and the police are no help at all, I know this is too much to ask but will you please help me? I know we only just saw each other after several years and a lot has changed, but I still trust you and I always have." I look into his beautiful hazel eyes, I can never determine the color sometimes, like when the sun hits his eyes, they're suddenly green, but when its dark they appear as warm brown.

And suddenly those eyes take me for a walk down memory lane.

When I was just a kid, my father kicked me out of the house.I started aimlessly walking around the park looking for nothing and something at the same time. I saw Nathan looking almost as alone as I felt, tossing pebbles into the lake like it had wronged him. So, I silently sat with him, there was no need to say anything as we let the silence envelop us like blankets. We watched the sunset sinking like quick sand. An and the orange sunbeams brushed against the horizon. I looked over into his eyes and just then, my heart decided to jump into the lake in front of us and drown. His eyes had turned into a sunset of its own, as the gold in his eyes melted into blue, green, and colors I didn't even know could exist in a human's eyes.

And just then, I proclaimed that his eyes were a work of art and need to be framed in a museum.

Warm hands against my face snap me out of my trance, I must've looked weird gazing into his eyes like that.

"Of course, I'll help you Ollie. I'll be with you every step of the way, and yeah, we missed out on each other a lot, but believe me when I say you are the bestest, kindest, strongest person in the world, after everything you've went through you are still looking for justice for your asshole of a dad, so I'm 100% in," In that moment I couldn't help myself, I tried to hold myself back but there was no use, I tackled him with a hug. I didn't care about the throbbing pain in my forearm, I just wanted to show him how much I appreciated him.

And just like I expected, I was welcomed home.

These past 2 days have been a pain in the ass, I felt broken down and tired, alone and sad, but most importantly I felt scared. But as his arms wrap around me, a shred of comfort has been offered to me.

"By the way," I whisper into his ear.

"Bestest isn't a word," He laughs against my hair.

"Yeah, well I'm not capable of describing you with normal words, I'll have to write a dictionary called 'the Olivia dictionary'," We both laugh, neither of us ready to let go. 

_________________________________________________________________________

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY GIFT ACE.

Thoughts?

vote, comment, share and all that other stuff.