Chapter 5: Hot Then Cold

CHAPTER 5: HOT THEN COLD

Running away from people could be very tiring. But running away from people when you didn’t eat your breakfast was way worse than that. I had been trying to avoid my sister’s fans since this morning and they’re getting on my nerves. I had no idea how she managed to live like this before. I was exhausted and starved and frustrated all at the same time.

When I opened the glass doors of the cafeteria my body cringed. Cool air hugged me and it made me regret coming here in this outfit. The place was air-conditioned and the cheerleading uniform I was wearing wasn’t exactly helping my current state. It was so thin and short I thought I would freeze in here. It’s also tight it’s like second skin.

I had walked toward my usual table before I realized I wasn’t supposed to seat there because I was acting as Serene. Nine pairs of eyes, including my sister’s, gaped at me. I became aware that everyone else in the area did the same. I tried to explain but my sister cut me off.

“Serene! Oh, yes, I totally forgot. You invited me to sit at your table today right? Okay, uh guys I’m sorry but I’m afraid I have to leave you today,” my sister said. I shot her a quiet look that loudly asked: What are you saying? Have you gone insane?

The people who heard her gasped. Not because what she said was unacceptable, but because the real Sacred wouldn’t say such a thing. I was popular too you know. I just chose not to interact with the other cool kids. I was comfortable hanging out with the cool nerds and other members of the Student Council. People respected us because we ran the school in a way.

Everyone knew I had social issues. And sitting at the center table with jocks, cheerleaders, and fake people wasn’t actually in my line of interest. Perhaps they’re wondering why Sacred Mendez was acting weird today.

She grabbed my hand and we went to the center table, or as the ordinary students called: The Popular table. It was crowded as usual. All the cool kids were settled there. Their smiles grew wider when they saw my sister with me. I gave back a fake smile.

“Finally, Sacred Mendez sits where she belongs!” a tall, muscular guy shouted.

“Scary Sacred in the house!” another guys yelled.

A skinny blonde also wearing a cheerleader uniform kissed my sister’s cheeks. Girls with high-pitched voices greeted her. I laughed to myself. All of these were ridiculous. They’re all over the fake Sacred. They were acting like complete idiots.

My own private joke came back to me with a vengeance. A familiar figure made me stop in my tracks.

Dylan Crawford.

He went towards us. At first I thought he was going to reach me but he clutched my sister’s hand instead. I felt a sudden stab of pain. I quickly looked away.

“Babe, I’m glad you’re spending lunch with me. I’ve been asking you for months,” he said. Then he kissed her passionately in front of everybody. I bit my lip and grasped the edge of the table for support. I couldn’t witness this kind of selfish act without having the urge to punch someone in the face.

“Dude get a room!” a guy teased. The others threw crumpled tissue papers at them so they pulled away.

“Dylan! Sac didn’t hit you after your episode. Cool! You’ve melted her frozen heart!” Brenton exclaimed. He was Dylan’s best friend. He’s my friend too.

“Someone’s quiet today. Miss your boyfriend Ser?” said a tall guy with dirty blonde hair. He poked my arm.

“Hey Caleb, don’t bother Serene,” Brenton told him, the playful smile leaving his face. He could be overprotective when it came to my sister. His unrequited love for her wasn’t a secret to everyone. Somehow I felt bad for him. He couldn’t win against Chase. It was like a stated fact. Chase was the serious hot council guy and he was the funny jock. He came to me and flashed a sweet smile. I felt uneasy. He’s one of my best friends and he’s flirting with me now. He would kill me once he knew I wasn’t the real Serene.