Chapter 21: Pre-Prom Troubles

#I'mback

CHAPTER 21: PRE-PROM TROUBLES

"I'm not gonna wear that."

I lost count on how many times I said this line. Rielle emerged from the racks of dresses with a scowl on her face. She shoved three more gowns against my chest and dragged me to the nearest dressing room.

"Yes you are, Sacred," she insisted. "We are not leaving this store until we find the perfect outfit for you. The prom is one of the highlights of high school and I'm not letting my best friend ruin that night for me."

"So this is all about you? Wow, I'm so touched," I replied sarcastically, feigning hurt.

"Sac, you know how important the dance is for me. I want to spend it with my friends. Lucky for you, you're one of them so you are not allowed to look like crap on my special night. Call me selfish all you want but I will not walk out there with someone wearing jeans," she explained, giving me a knowing look.

This girl knew me too well. Jeans and sweater were my first choice of clothes for that night. I was the president of student council so it meant I would be running around all night.

Running, long gowns, and high heels couldn't go hand in hand.

She pushed me inside the small cubicle and shut the door in my face. I hung the clothes and checked out the first one. It was a red fitted dress that has a high slit at the right side. It was also strapless so if I wear this I would need to hold the top every time I run to avoid flashing my chest to everyone, giving them an extra show for that night. This couldn't work out for me.

The navy blue gown seemed innocuous with its long laced sleeves and neckline. The fabric was soft and light and it ended at my ankles. I stripped off and wore the dress. Rielle approved it when I showed myself to her and I paid for it at the counter immediately before she changed her mind. I didn't have any energy left for another round of outfit searching. She changed her mind thrice since this morning. Earlier today, I was already giving my money to the cashier from a different boutique when she realized she actually hated the one I chose and decided to drag me away against my will. And now we're here. Hopefully the last store we would enter for the day.

"You need to tell Chase the color of your dress so you'd be matched," she said as we went to the parking lot.

"No, I won't," I said with a grimace. "That's too cheesy."

"No it's not. It's actually sweet. Chase is sweet too. I can't believe your sister claimed he wasn't. He's very sweet with you," she uttered casually, like mentioning my sister wouldn't bring out any guilt to her best friend. Such a sensitive person. Really. We put our shopping bags at the backseat of the car and continued our conversation while driving.

"She told me before that he used to be really sweet until he wasn't anymore," I replied. "I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention to their relationship that time."

"Maybe he realized he liked you that's why he turned cold to Serene," she suggested. But that couldn't possibly be the reason why he changed. He told me he liked me since freshmen year. And that didn't even make sense.

"Maybe," she said. "I met his brother yesterday. I spent the night at his house."

Rielle's eyes almost jumped out of its sockets.

"Nothing happened," I clarified.

"Uh-huh," she smiled wickedly.

"If you keep thinking what you're thinking I'm gonna throw your shopping bags out of the window."