Chapter Twelve

"Busy tonight?" Henry asked casually and Collier paused in opening his water bottle to direct his attention to the boy next to him. He wasn't sure if Henry had been talking to him, since his blue eyes were still staring down at his tray of food, but with one glance at Emerson and Sarah, who were too into their own little world too be paying attention, he figured the questing was for him.

"Um," Cole said quietly. "Not really". They had language arts homework assigned by Mr. Drake, but he figured Henry already knew that since he sat directly behind him in that class.

It was a Tuesday though, so besides that, Collier had nothing going on.

"Come over". Henry wasn't asking, and Cole wasn't about to decline. "I'll drive you".

That was right. Collier had told Henry about his accident a year ago in his exhausted haze. He had forgotten up until now.

"Oh," Cole said softly, turning his wrist a bit more until the cap of his water bottle clicked. "Thanks".

It was quiet then, not really awkward, but almost with the sound of Emerson and Sarah giggling in the background. Collier, with one last glance at Henry, stood from his chair, leaving his tray behind for Sarah to pick at, but taking his backpack. He wasn't planning on coming back before the end of the hour.

Ian was sitting at his usual table, surrounded by his friends, though not talking to any of them as he watched Collier approach. It was almost as if he had been watching him the whole time, and Cole narrowed his eyes at his friend.

The second he took the seat across from him, Ian was prying. "So, what were you and Henry talking about?" Collier raised his eyebrows. "Are you two like, friends or something? I didn't realize that".

Collier wasn't exactly sure how to respond to this. Were they friends? The most definitely kissed a lot more than most friends did, but of course Cole would leave this part out.

He wasn't quite sure, but he was under the impression that not many people knew that Henry was interested in men. Collier wasn't even sure of Henry's sexuality- was he bi? Did he like girls as well as boys?- and he didn't want to out the kid to everyone if he didn't want anyone to know.

The simplest way to put it was , "Yeah, we're friends" and then after a moment of thought he added, "kinda".

Ian looked amused with this. "That's nice".

"Is it?" Collier asked and Ian nodded.

"Yeah. With Sarah busy with Emerson all the time, you can probably just hang out with Henry and no one's feelings get hurt. It's the perfect situation".

"Oh yeah," Cole said sarcastically. "It's so much fun to spend time with someone who would much rather be spending their time with someone else". Ian shrugged as if this wasn't a big deal.

"I'd rather be with Ryan than you right now, but that doesn't mean you're not enjoying talkig to me, right?" Ian asked, as if he was so smart for coming up with this point. Collier just scoffed at the insult and rose to his feet.

"Yes," he said, "yes it does". And then he turned and left, not going back to his old table but passing it as he left the lunch room.

As he walked to Art, Collier was suprised to admit he felt a twinge of hope that Jake would be in the room when he got there.

***

"Get in the car, or I'm leaving you here," Henry snapped at him. Collier had been standing on the curb, waiting for Sarah and Emerson to pull the car around for him.

"Huh?"

"I said I'd drive you," Henry said, leaning out the window. He looked very cool in his black sunglasses that hid his eyes. "So get in the fucking car".

You Can't Choose (BoyxBoy)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara