Chapter 6 - First Line

The next morning, Jamie was rushing through the school doors. He was late again. He sprinted through the hallways, his sneakers squeaking against the tiled floor. He didn't want to miss lacrosse practice. He wasn't playing but he intended to keep a close eye on Scott. He took a sharp turn, bumping right into Jackson.

"Oh shit! Sorry," he apologized. He then noticed that Scott was there, his back to his locker. He was looking tense. Jamie frowned, not liking the situation one bit.

"Jackson? What's going on here?" Jamie asked, distrust clear in his voice.

"What's going on?" Jackson scoffed, turning his attention back to Scott, "What's going on is that McCall here is lying to me! Come on, little man, tell me where you get your juice!"

"What? My Mom is the one who does the grocery shopping!" Scott breathed, confused. Jamie was lost as well, until he got it.

"Come on, Jackson! You really think you're so great that only someone on steroids can be better than you?" Jamie intervened loudly, clearly mad at the team captain.

"Steroids? Are you on steroids?" Scott asked, looking at Jackson in disbelief.

"What the hell is going on with you, McCall?" Jackson yelled, gripping Scott's shirt and shoving him against the locker. "There's no way you can suddenly go on the field and kick our ass like that without a chemical boost!"

"What's going on with me? You really want to know?" Scott was getting angry as well. His voice got louder and louder, to the point he was almost shouting, "Well so would I! Because I can see, hear and smell things I shouldn't be able to see, hear and smell! I do things that shouldn't be possible and I'm pretty convinced that I'm totally out of my freaking mind!"

"Oh you think you're funny? Don't you McCall?" Jackson replied, his voice dangerously low. "I know you're hiding something. I'm gonna find out what it is. I don't care how long it takes." He then turned to Jamie, his voice full of spite, "And you, who do think you are? Huh? First you steal Lydia from me and now, what? You help him steal my place as captain too?"

Jackson let go of Scott, then slowly backed away from the two, keeping his eyes on them. The moment he was out of sight, Scott let out a sigh. Jamie patted his shoulder, "You okay there?"

Scott simply nodded, closing his eyes end resting his head against the cold locker. He opened his eyes again, "I have to go to practice."

Jamie stood there, watching his friend walk away. The sound of footsteps made him turn around, only to see Stiles hurrying to the lacrosse field. He gestured for the other teen to follow him as he passed. Jamie jogged behind his friend and soon he found himself on the sidelines. Stiles was trying to catch Scott's attention.

"Scott! Scott wait up!" Stiles yelled anxiously, panting. Scott turned to look at him, still mad after his confrontation with Jackson.

"Man, it's selections! Can't it wait?"

"Just hold on a second, okay? I heard my dad on the phone. The fiber analysis came back from the lab in L.A., they found animal hairs on the body from the woods!" Stiles quickly explained. Scott didn't look interested, as he turned around and made his way to the field.

"I gotta go."

"Wait no, Scott! You're not gonna believe what the animal was!" Stiles yelled, looking at his friend go, "It was a wolf..."

But Scott was already running, getting in position on the field and not paying attention to his friend anymore. Jamie, who was standing next to Stiles, looked at him doubtfully.

"Seriously, Stiles? A wolf? What does it mean?"

"I don't know, man. I-" Stiles was interrupted by Coach, who was blowing his whistle loudly, before calling, "Alright, gather round!"

Stiles gave Jamie a look that said "I'll talk to you later" before he joined the other players on the field. Jamie quickly climbed the bleachers, taking a seat next to Lydia and Allison. He ruffled Lydia's hair, making her elbow him slightly and roll her eyes, smiling, while Allison was waving her hand at Scott -- her way of wishing him luck for the scrimmage. Scott made a sign with his hand in response, only for Coach to thing he had something to say. The three teens laughed as they watched Scott stammer in response, looking uneasy.

"Oh, man, I hope this goes well," Jamie whispered biting his bottom lip, his leg bouncing up and down in anticipation. Lydia took his hand in her smaller ones, comforting him, "If Scott plays the way he did yesterday, there's no doubt he'll make first line." Jamie and Allison looked at her gratefully, thankful for her words, although the game was not the only reason Jamie was concerned.

The whistle blew and the scrimmage began. The players were fast and the game was brutal. Scott managed to snatch the ball only for Jackson to slam into him ruthlessly. Scott slammed to the ground, kicking up a cloud of dirt in the process. Jackson was towering over him, his glare menacing.

A whistle interrupted his staring; he bent down to pick up the ball while Scott got back on his feet, hastily dusting his jersey. As soon as all the players were back into position, the whistle blew again. Immediately, Scott moved to get the ball before Jackson. With astonishing speed, he grabbed the ball, securing it in the net of his stick. He charged forward, expertly dodging the players trying to stop him. Jackson was just behind him, furious and trying to steal the ball. Now cornered by defence players, Scott twisted his lacrosse stick and flipped forward, almost flying above the opposing players. As his feet reconnected with the ground, he swerved around, tossing the ball right into the goal.

In the bleachers, his friends roared with cheers as the other students were watching him in disbelief. They soon joined in the cheering, clapping along. What Scott had just done was spectacular and had attracted Coach's attention.

"McCall, get over here !" the man yelled. Scott trotted to him, anxious.

"Yes, Coach?"

"What in God's name was that?" Coach asked. In all the years he had been a lacrosse coach, he had never seen a player flip forward on the field. This was lacrosse, not gymnastics.

"I don't know," Scott shrugged, "I was just trying to make the shot."

"Well, you made the shot," Coach stated, his voice booming as usual, "And guess what. You're starting, buddy. You made first line!"

Scott couldn't have been happier. He smiled broadly, thanking Coach, and laughed gleefully. His teammates surrounded him, cheering and congratulating the new starting player. In the bleachers, Allison, Lydia and Jamie were cheering as well, proud of their friend's accomplishment. The only two people on the field that didn't look happy were Jackson -- unsurprisingly -- and Stiles.

The buzz-cut boy looked at the scene from the sidelines, his hands on his wait, shaking his head. What he had just witnessed was simply impossible. The way Scott moved, it wasn't natural. His speed, his agility -- he knew Scott had trained a lot over the Summer but it was unthinkable to progress that much in such little time. Troubled, Stiles left the field. He wouldn't leave the matter unsolved. He headed home.

He had research to do.