Chapter 28 - Constant Vigilance

Derek was a man of few words. He didn't particularly enjoy talking, especially not to newly-bitten, overly worried werewolves. But he had made it his duty to teach Scott McCall how to be a proper werewolf, not some kind of rabid animal that wandered the streets every full moon, and that involved using words.

That night, he was on his way to the store when he noticed Scott walking away from it, his arms full of groceries. This was the perfect opportunity to teach him a thing or two and to reassert his dominance over the young wolf. Derek felt a smile tugging at the corner of his lips -- it was time to have a bit of fun.

He observed Scott from afar, deciding to see how much attention Scott paid to his surroundings. None, it seemed, for he was incapable of finding his own car. He just pressed on the button of his keys until a beeping sound was heard. Derek rolled his eyes and did his best not to see Scott as a lost cause. If the Alpha had bitten him, it was probably because he had potential. Or maybe he was just desperate to have a pack and had bitten the first person who had crossed his path.

Derek was doing his best to be noticed by Scott. He walked loudly, almost stomping his feet, but the young man didn't hear him. He placed himself upwind from Scott, letting his scent be carried to his pupil. Still no reaction.

Derek let out a sigh, what would it take for Scott to realize he wasn't alone in this parking lot?

The answer came to him under the form of a bottle of milk Scott had dropped on the floor and that rolled straight to Derek's hiding spot. He grabbed the bottle and with his claws, tore it apart. He rolled it back to Scott. This should get the teen's attention -- and if it didn't, then he deserved to be attacked by the Alpha.

Derek could smell the fear coming out in waves from Scott. He had seen the bottle and he was running away. Good thinking, Derek thought. It wasn't like the teen stood a chance against the Alpha so fleeing was the only clever option. Scott rose in Derek's esteem when he noticed his pupil wasn't wolfed out. They were in a public place and they could very well be seen, they had to take precautions.

Scott hid between two cars. Derek had long stopped running, simply locating Scott by scent. He could also hear his heart beating like crazy in his chest, giving away his position. Scott could as well have been yelling with all the noise he was making. 

Scott must have realized this as well because not a second later he was jumping on cars, making their alarms go off. He hoped to drown the noise he was making in the cacophony. The idea was clever, but it would take more to fool Derek.

Especially because Scott's phone rang loudly, the sound reverberating against the concrete pillars of the parking lot. Derek figured it was time to end the exercise. He went over to where Scott was hiding and grabbed him roughly by the shoulders, claws out. He slammed the teen against a car.

"You're dead."

Derek felt this would get the point across. And it did, but not without confusing Scott.

"What the hell was that?" Scott yelled.

"I said I was gonna teach you. I didn't say when," Derek explained. He was in a good mood, this little exercise had helped him take away his frustrations. He let go of Scott and started walking away.

"You scared the crap out of me!" Scott protested loudly. He followed Derek, determined to get some kind of explanation from him. 

"Not yet," Derek replied in a cocky tone. If only Scott knew what else he had in store for him, his training was just beginning.

"Okay but I was fast, right?" Scott tried to gain his teacher's approval. "The car alarm thing, that was smart, right?"

"Until your phone rang," Derek countered.