Chapter 35 - Pity Party

"Okay, that's it," Scott sighed. "Where are we going?"

He looked at Stiles from the passenger seat, not feeling like going along with his plan anymore. Stiles didn't let Scott distract him from the road.

"You'll see," he said with his usual mischievous smile.

"You know, we really shouldn't be out here. My Mom is in a constant state of freak-out from what happened at the school," Scott continued like Stiles hadn't spoken.

"Well, your Mom isn't the Sheriff, okay?" Stiles laughed, "There's no comparison, trust me."

"Can you at least just tell me what we're doing out here?" Scott insisted. He was kept in the dark so often these days, he really started to hate the feeling. Especially when it was his best friend who was withholding information from him.

"Yes," Stiles gave in. "When your best friend gets dumped..."

"I didn't get dumped," Scott interrupted forcefully. "We're taking a break."

"All right, all right," Stiles held up a hand in dismissal, the other still on the steering wheel. "When your best friend gets told by his girlfriend that they're taking a break, you get your best friend drunk."

Scott sighed, not in the mood to drink. Allison had told him to stop calling her and it had hurt tremendously. She wanted nothing to do with him anymore, he had broken the trust she had placed in him and until it was mended, there was no need to try and contact her. Not texting the first girl he had ever felt so strongly about was taking away all of Scott's energy, leaving none of it for partying.

He complied anyway and followed Stiles outside the car when they arrived at the party. The noise of too many conversations entered his ears painfully, his senses even keener than usual under the influence of the imminent full moon. Stiles didn't waste a second and took out a bottle from his bag, drinking directly from it. Soon, he was slurring.

"Dude, you know, she's just one..." he swallowed, hiccupping, "...one girl. You know, there are so many... there are so many other girls in the sea."

"Fish in the sea," Scott corrected, taking the bottle away from Stiles and taking a swig of his own.

"Fish? Why are you talking about fish?" Stiles asked, genuinely confused. "I'm talking about girls. Ah, girls..."

Stiles sighed loudly, shaking his head. Scott nodded in agreement, pensively playing with the label on the bottle. Stiles saw him and slapped his hand away. He tried to grab the bottle but Scott figured he'd had enough already. The drunk teen eventually gave up and stared at the face of his best friend.

"Hey, you're not happy. Take a drink," he ordered with surprising authority.

"I don't want any more," Scott replied in a flat tone.

"You're not drunk?" Stiles frowned when, in a short-lived moment of clarity, he noticed Scott was still his usual and lately, mopey, self.

"I'm not anything," Scott shrugged. He didn't feel any different than usual, he couldn't feel the warm buzz alcohol was supposed to bring whoever drank it.

"Maybe you healed from it," a voice told them.

They turned to look around and saw Lydia standing there, a red cup in hand. She seemed thoughtful as she sat beside them, careful not to spill the contents of her cup. She was slightly swaying under an imaginary breeze, indicating this was not her first cup of beer.

"Maybe it's like not needing your inhaler anymore!" Stiles said too loudly, a big smile on his face like they had solved the mystery of the century. He looked around before whispering, "Maybe you can't get drunk as a wolf..."