Chapter 7 - Not a joke anymore

Lacrosse practice was over. Scott had gone to the locker room to change, intrigued not to see Stiles around. Maybe he had left already? Scott decided to stop worrying and to relish what had just happened. Finally, he had made first line! He had seen Allison cheering for him from the bleachers. 

As he put his equipment in his sport bag, he thought back to what had happened while he was working the day before. It was getting late; he was about to close the veterinary clinic when someone knocked frantically at the door. It was Allison, she had hit a dog while driving. She was in a state of panic, crying and drenched from the rain. Although she was distraught from the incidence, she still had had the presence of mind to retrieve the dog from the road, putting the frightened animal in the trunk of her car before driving straight to the clinic. Scott had welcomed her inside, and had treated the injured dog -- to his and Allison's relief, it was nothing too serious. The teens had talked, Scott even lending her one of his shirts so she could warm up. 

The conversation had ended on a note that had made Scott particularly happy: Allison had agreed to go to Lydia's party with him. As it turned out, her telling Lydia and Jamie that Friday night was Family night had been a lie. She had been scared to go to a party alone when she barely knew anyone that attended, as she told Scott.

The lacrosse player exited the locker room. He had a spring to his step, and his face was illuminated by a grin. He joined his friends and Allison next to the bleachers. They all congratulated him for making first line, and he happily accepted the praise. Still basking in glee, Scott missed the expression on Jamie's face. It was one of slight wariness. He was carefully observing his friend, looking for anything out of place. Of course, he was happy for him, but as it had become a habit over the few last days he couldn't help but wonder where his new abilities came from. 

Jamie forced a smile on his face as he prepared himself to leave. He was supposed to be at the hospital half an hour later and although he didn't mind being late to class, he was more careful when it came to his position at the hospital's reception -- he was actually needed there. He said his goodbye to his friends, promising Lydia he would help her set up for the party as soon as he was done with work, and left the school.

He drove to the hospital, a place he was slowly warming up to. He used to hate hospitals, as a lot of people do, but by working there he had learn to view the place in a new light. In his eyes, it was a place where people cared for each other. He held the hospital's workers in high esteem; these were people willing to help complete strangers, who would spend countless hours tending to patients. Jamie wanted to be a part of this, which is why he had applied to the job. He had been working there for about a year now, and the medical personnel had quickly taken a liking to the young man. He was a diligent worker, and he paid attention to detail. He was also eager to learn, taking in information like a sponge. 

As he entered the building, he came face-to-face Scott's mother Melissa. She was wearing her usual pink scrubs, her dark curly hair in a ponytail. She smiled as she saw Jamie, her kind brown eyes meeting his blue ones as she nodded in greeting. She seemed in a hurry so he did not attempt to start a conversation. He joined his small desk instead, taking his jacket off and placing it on the chair behind him. He logged in on the computer and checked what needed to be done for the day. He started working, managing appointments and occasionally answering the phone. When he was working here, his mind was focused, unlike at school where countless thoughts would randomly pop up in his head, distracting him from whatever he was supposed to be paying attention to.

About two hours later, a light knocking on the front desk brought his eyes away from his computer. Melissa was standing there, two cups of coffee in her hands. She smiled, setting both cups on the desk.