Chapter Two: The Shift

Clair walked into the room and smiled before the king. The room was dark as always. The dark haired man sat behind a desk with papers. His features harder when he realized it was Clair who came for a visit. His attention peaked however when he saw the girl in her arms. She lie in her arms limp, dead looking. "What is the meaning of this?" The King's voice came out smooth and deep.

"I've come with an offering. You can have this tiger shifter here if you make me your Queen." She smiled. Now Clair wasn't ugly no, she was beautiful in fact. She has blonde hair and green eyes, slim figure and pale. She however is never going to be fit to be Queen and stand beside a King. "I could have you killed for such a rash offering. If I wanted the tiger shifter all I would have to say is to leave the girl." His voice was harder than the last time. This is a warning to Clair. She always was doing what she thought would be right for the King.

The girls ebony hair was curly and bounced when Clair walked over to the King's desk. With a flick of her wrist she cleared the desk of his papers. The paper crashed to the carpeted floor. The king was getting rather angry with Clair's presence. Clair set the sleeping girl on the desk and turned her back. This was a wrong move on her part. The king quickly got to his feet and snapped her neck. "Dare be so disrespectful to your King?" He sneered at her motionless body. He looked back at the tiger shifter and was confused. She was naked and pale. Her skin grew cold at the temperature in the room.

The king left the room and came back with plenty of blankets and set them on the floor right next to his desk. It was soft and comfortable to lay on. He picked up the small girl and placed her on the blankets. He tossed a large blanket over her to protect her body from the cold.

The king looked at Clair's now twitching body. Her finger twitched and her neck spun back into place. Clair picked herself off of the floor with tears welling in her eyes. "Leave." A small smile was on her lips, she would soon get revenge on the tiger shifter. She knew the King would like her but she didn't know this much. Clair left without a word. The King looked at the now awake girl. She looked at the King with fear but with another feeling that he wouldn't know. She looked at him as if he was her protector or hers.

The ebony haired girl was lost and looked around. The blanket was on her body still when she stood. The blanket wouldn't drop from her grasp, it was hard and tight around the soft material. The King approached her with a soft smile. He felt a small pull towards the female shifter. The girl looked at the crown placed upon the Kings dark hair and was in awe. "My name is Dayton. What is yours, tiger child?" His voice was soft and full of concern. The King never treated anyone with kindness, not until he met her. The two didn't know each other yet they were already changing each other.

Her lips curled into a smile at his voice. "My name is Little Runt." Her smile fell instantly. The King's brows furrowed. He shook his head. "No child your name is not little runt. You are far to beautiful to be named such a thing. Try again." He was confused by the name she had given him. Why would a young woman have such a name? "Well then I don't have a name. All I can remember is when the bad men took me. They were mean and I was in a tree. After that I can only remember them saying that I was home. They were wolves. The man who led them gave me the name. Little Runt. That what they called me other than mean things." Her voice was soft. She no longer had to worry about the men because they were gone due to the vampires.

"Do you know what you are? How did you escape? How old you are?" The King was more concerned now. "I'm rare is all I know. The leader would always tell me I had value but never wanted to get rid of me. He said I'm a type of shifter but I'm not sure. I'm supposed to turn eighteen on the fifth of June. I remember being in the cells for a long time. Naked not very much food or water. No blanket to keep me warm in the winter. They put me in there in the beginning of January. It was a long time before the vampires came. The men tore through the wolves. I wasn't going to be rescued so I fell asleep in my cell. A woman came and took me here." The ebony girls hair was speaking without fear