one

CAMILLA CARTER

CAMILLA CARTER

The sun had almost set. A golden glow falling over the Amity landscape. Three friends sat on a hill at the edge of a field. Their conversations hushed and half-hearted as most of their attention was focused on the fourth and finale friend that was running circles around them.

"Two more!" The shortest friend yelled, a dreamy smile on her face. She sat on a root of the large tree that lived on the hill, her bare feet resting on the soft grass.

"I think she knows that, Ava." The only male replied, laughing. At seventeen, he was the oldest out of the four friends.

"Let her be, Karl." The girl leaning against his chest said. She softly tapped his arm that was wrapped securely around her waist. Her naturally brown skin contrasting against his pale one.

"Sorry, El."

The trios eyes were drawn to their redheaded friend as she thundered past them. She ran down the hill and past the kids playing on a swing. Her heart was racing and her breaths were ragged, but that didn't faze her. Bare feet hit the ground over and over in a steady, calculated rhythm, almost as if to the beat of a song only she could hear.

The day was almost over and the temperature was slowly dropping. Her faded orange tank top clung to her body due to the sweat, it slowly dripped down her neck and ran down her back; however, it wasn't nearly as much as it could have been if it was mid-day.

She reached the other end of the field and spun on the ball of her foot before running back the other way. Strands of her hair stuck to her forehead, the rest being held back with a dirty piece of yellow fabric.

The girl neared her friends for the fiftieth-and-finale time. The lower half of her legs were caked with mud and the soles of her feet were almost numb. If she wasn't so focused on completing her daily run, she would have noticed the slight tremble in her legs.

She could hear her short friend cheering as she climbed the hill, collapsing at the top. She rolled onto her back, long heavy breaths filling her ears.

"Well done, Camilla!" Ava cheered, clapping her hands and drawing the attention of a few other members of the faction who were working nearby.

"Took you long enough, Milla!" Ella called with a light chuckle. Her dark brown hair falling into her even darker eyes with every movement.

"Yeah, Cam!" Karl snickered. His muscular arms unwrapping themselves from his girlfriend's waist as he teased his friend in a playful manner. "You're not getting slow are you?"