eight

FIRST DAY

FIRST DAY

"The first thing you will learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight."

Camilla inspected the weapon that had been placed in her hand, flipping it over, and feeling the cool and rough metal against her fingers. She had never touched a gun before, never seen one either, and the feeling of it sent shivers up her spine.

The Amity side in her told her to put it down, it was shouting at her to hate the way it fit so nicely in her hand, yet she couldn't bring herself to listen. She held a device that could take someone's life with the simple pull of a trigger. She didn't know whether she liked that or not.

"Initiation is divided into three stages. We will measure your progress and rank you according to your performance in each stage. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it is possible, though difficult, to drastically improve your rank over time."

It was hard for her to stay focused on his words. She was tired, and after a quick glance, she realised everyone else was too.

"Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first is primarily physical; the second, primarily emotional; the third, primarily mental."

"But what..." Peter yawned from beside Camilla, "What does firing a gun have to do with... bravery?"

In an instant, Four had the barrel of his gun pressed to Peter's forehead, and had a bullet clicked into place. The initiate froze mid-yawn.

"Wake. Up," Four snapped. "You are holding a loaded gun. Act like it."

She felt as if what he said was meant for everyone, but it just so happened to be Peter who was the unlucky soul that got scolded at like a misbehaving child.

Camilla took in his words, straightening her back and lifting her chin. She remembered Amity's leader, Joanna, once telling her to act peaceful even if it wasn't in her nature. To fake it 'till you make it. And that's what she would do.

She watched Peters green eyes harden, and wondered if hers had done the same.

"And to answer your question... you are far less likely to soil your pants and cry for your mother if you're prepared to defend yourself."

Camilla coughed quietly to cover up her small laugh. It clearly didn't work as she met Fours unamused gaze. Her cheeks flushed pink, and she looked away quickly.

He continued, "this is also information you may need later in stage one. So, watch me."

He faced the wall with three targets painted on it. Camilla observed his actions and movements, noting how he kept his feet shoulder width apart, his left one slightly further back. And how he held the gun in both hands, keeping it parallel with his face.