fifteen

LAUGH AND LAUGH AND LAUGH

Camilla leant against the train wall, a fake smile plastered on her lips as she sat next to Marlene, trying not to seem too dejected by her defeat. Her back was painted in splatters of blues, pinks, yellows, and greens, all symbols of her defeat that left a sour taste in her mouth, though not as much as what her flag — that was being paraded around by Christina — caused her. The redhead eyed her Candor friend bitterly, her gaze then flitting over to Tris, who was sitting beside Chris with a small smile on her face.

The redhead had been told of the blonde's plan that had helped them win. Apparently, she was the one who had set off the Ferris wheel when she had climbed it, trying to get a better look of the pier, and was now one of Camilla's main targets of annoyance, alongside Christina and the Terrible Trio.

Granted, Camilla couldn't deny the fact that the other girl's plan was good, far better than her own. In fact, if they had been on the same team then Camilla wouldn't have been so bothered by it, but it still angered her immensely that her plan had failed to work when the blonde's had played out perfectly. What was even worse was, her plan hadn't even succeeded in failing, she had just simply given up on it, and that was probably what angered Camilla the most. The fact that she — who had gotten Erudite as one of her aptitude results, for God sakes — had created a plan that was doomed to fail from the beginning. Blinded by pride and selfishness, Camilla wasn't even able to see how bad of an idea it was until Peter had come along with his Candor smart-mouth, spitting the facts Camilla had ignorantly glossed over — slapping her in the face with reality itself.

Her eyes hopped to said boy, staring at him with the same amount of hatred she always had. He had a bright pink paint splatter on his chest, courtesy of Camilla herself, and a disgruntled look on his face as he eyeballed Christina and their flag. He had been with Camilla when they found out they had lost, both of them equally as put out as the other.

It was almost laughable to think about the moments that had led up to the hearing of their loss. Camilla remembered his shocked features when she had appeared out of nowhere, taking out a boy from Four's team that was just about to shoot Peter in the back. She remembered the two of them bickering after he had declared he could have taken the boy out himself (even though Peter wasn't even looking in his direction) and becoming so caught up in their argument, that they didn't notice Myra fling herself around the corner until she had let out a frightful scream before spraying them both with paintballs. Camilla even felt the corner of her lip twitch as she remembered Peter blaming her for Myra shooting them, only to fall silent when she pulled the trigger on her gun, resulting in the pink paint on his chest.

It felt good to shoot him, Camilla realised with a small laugh. Maybe not if it was a real gun, but give Camilla another paintball gun and she would go to town, not even batting an eye. Somehow, Peter must have heard her laugh, or felt her gaze on him, as he met her eyes --- a lush forest meeting an icy tundra --- though not for long as he let out a small grumble and an eye roll when he realised she had been looking at his paint-covered chest, inciting a louder cackle from the ginger.