twelve

DAUNTLESS TRADITION

DAUNTLESS TRADITION

Peter had never met anyone more confusing in his whole life.

Okay, maybe that was a lie because he had met some very confusing people in his lifetime, but she was definitely in the top five. He just couldn't seem to grasp what was going on in that mind of hers. Peter could go as far as saying that it was like watching two different people in a single body.

He had watched her beat her own friend with little remorse, yet he also saw the pain in her eyes once the fight was over. He had seen the way she fought Molly, barely batting an eyelash at her bloodied face, yet he was told by Drew that the girl was distraught just ten minutes later. Peter even saw her take down Will - another friend of hers - with a blank face and cold eyes, yet she had been close to tears afterwards.

It was like she cared too much, one minute, then not at all the next. She was kind, yet cutthroat; sensitive, yet cold-hearted; Amity, yet Dauntless.

Gods, Camilla confused Peter.

"Are you even listening, Peter?"

"Yes." He replied instantly, his eyes flicking from one redhead --- who wasn't sitting with her usual group of friends, but instead with a dark-skinned girl with curly hair - to another.

Drew scoffed, shaking his head. He had seen his friend staring at the Amity girl, and he could feel his lips curling up into a scowl. "No you weren't, you were looking at that Pansy-bitch."

Molly made a noise of disgust, muttering a quiet gross, to which Peter rolled his eyes at. He could understand why his two friends hated the girl - she was a Pansy who had decked one of them and beat up the other - but that didn't mean Peter did too. Besides the mutual distaste between the Candor and Amity, the girl hadn't done anything to make him hate her in any way. However, that didn't mean he was going to stop acting like a dick.

"Look at her," Molly spat, probably still bitter about losing to the small girl. "She probably thinks she's tough shit, like she's the best to ever walk the earth."

They all turned in unison, three sets of eyes landing on the same redhead. The girl Camilla was sitting with noticed them first. Peter could see her mouth moving, and was able to make out the words looking at you before the ginger turned around and met the gazes of the three former Candors. Her brows furrowed and her head tilted to the side, and the longer Peter stared, the more he noticed how tired she looked (even though he was convinced she got the same amount of sleep as everyone else). The dark skinned girl said something else and the redhead turned around, but not before smiling at the three of them.

Yup, she definitely confused the hell out of Peter.

"Why were they staring?"

Camilla shrugged, the smile slipping from her face as she turned around. She picked at the potatoes on her plate; they were roasted and very salty, almost too salty for Camilla's liking. Dinah raised her eyebrows, shaking her head slightly, as if to say, well?