thirteen

A SHADOW IN THE DARK

Camilla stood stiffly at the end of the car, her eyes set on the wooden flooring. The tilt of her head meant the light was highlighting certain points, though it was also casting shadows in the deeper areas, giving her a dazzling but menacing look; like a goddess ready to tear out your heart.

Al leant beside her, his gaze trained on the girl as he tried to figure her out. It had barely been a week since they arrived at Dauntless, and yet she was very different to the girl he had first met. Besides her obvious and ruthless fighting style, the rest of the changes were very subtle, things Al was sure he could only pick up on because he was born in Candor; a place where you learnt how to read people like a picture book, to detect truths and lies through the voice and the body. And while Camilla wasn't lying, she definitely wasn't telling the truth either.

He had tried to make conversation with her from time to time but was constantly ignored (and if he was being honest, he wasn't surprised. He had noticed her slight shift in her behaviour the moment the teams had been chosen. It was similar to the way she had been acting before and after fights) — the girl continuing to blankly stare at the ground and play with a loose thread on the hem of her pants, instead.

Honestly, she looked afraid, and if it had been anyone else, he might have pinned her stoic and quiet behaviour to nerves. But Al knew otherwise. Unlike Tris, he was able to look past Camilla's small girl exterior and see the dangerous woman within; one that could easily have him hospitalized if the moment were to arise, and one that was definitely not scared of a game. In fact, Al was dead sure that whatever she was thinking of, was going to help their team win.

And he wasn't that wrong.

"Get ready!" Shouted Eric, his harsh gaze sweeping over his team. He was confident that they were superior, after all, Fours team held people like Maya and Tris.

His eyes fell on Camilla. Her stature was much smaller than everyone else, and in fights, she had no form, but she had strength and fury, plagued with a ruthlessness he had seen in only one other. Not only did he believe she could and would stand her ground, but he was sure she would make a worthy member to his already great team.

Though not everyone shared his praise for the girl. Take Molly, for example, who thought the exact opposite. The former Candor watched as the redhead pushed herself off the back wall and made her way to the cart door where she prepared herself to jump, seemingly unaware of the many people throwing both good and bad judgements her way. Molly resented the Amity girl, now more than ever, for being chosen before her. Before her. Yes, Molly knew that the ginger had won their fight, but come on. The girl was pathetic; standing there with a gun nearly as big as herself, surrounded by people nearly twice her size. It was almost laughable how out of place she looked — the vibrant red hair not doing the girl any favours.

But Molly wouldn't laugh at the sight of her, because she would not allow the scowl to leave her lips. Even when Peter had told her to stop (wipe that stupid look of your face, Mol. You're acting like a jealous child.) Which, in turn, only made her snare deeper. Camilla didn't belong on their team, she was a Pansy after all, and she would be the reason they lose.