❝august.❞

“don't be nervous,” I breathed out, “why are you nervous?” I was standing near the mall entrance.

I kept fixing my shirt without myself noticing. when I saw myself at the car windows that were parking near where I was standing, I had the urge to fix my hair as well.

“doyeon–ah, you don't have to be nervous. they are just hanbyul's sister and brothers,” I said softly to myself, trying to be calm.

I didn't know why I felt the need to be perfect for the first impression. for goodness sake, they were just kids!

unconsciously again, I was trying my hardest to smile sincerely. “just act normal, you idiot,” I muttered under my breath.

I licked my dried lips, humming a song that went through my head. I checked on my wristwatch; I realised that I was really early.

“they're probably still at home eating breakfast,” I whispered to myself. so I looked around to find an empty bus–stand.

I sat down on the bench, as if I was finding a peace of mind. so I took out my earphones and listened to an old classical music that I doubt people would still listen to it.

for at least I felt I was alone. the world seemed to fade as I was just sitting there with my comforting music.

until someone sat beside me of course, taking an earphone and didn't hesitate to listen. my eyes were still shut, I couldn't tell whether it was a woman or a man.

the carpenters? really?” as I heard the voice; it was answered— a man with deep soulful voice was sitting beside me.

I smiled, still with my eyes closed. “are you alone? where are your children?” I asked without further guessing the person.

I could sensed that he was leaning his back on the glass wall of the bus–stand. “they're buying ice creams,” he answered, “hanbyul said you liked cookies and cream.”

“in fact I do,” I giggled, slowly fluttering my eyes open. “are they okay with me hanging out with you guys?” I was nervous again when I looked at him.

he was wearing a simple white t–shirt with denim shorts. I guessed simplicity is beautiful.

a small smile plastered on his lips. “don't worry,” he said, “they'll like you. just like how hanbyul likes you.”

“dad!” we turned our heads to the side; the three children were walking toward us with a plastic bag.

“ms kim!” hanbyul shouted before she speeded to give me a warm hug. “I miss you!” she added.

I giggled, ruffling her soft hair. “we just bumped each other yesterday, silly. happy birthday,” I whispered closely to her ears.

then I handed her a present; it was a notebook with pictures of park bogum that I printed from the shop.