Bad Boys (Crush)

There they were... across the street at their usual post this time of day. Suga and his sidekick friend Jimin. My best friend Yeong-Suk and I were walking down the steps of our college dorm as I noticed the two posted up against the fence talking to their other friends, looking for their next victim.

Yeah I said it. Victims. Those boys are the popular, very athletic, seemingly strong bullies of the campus. If someone looks at them wrong, talks to them, or even breathes in their direction, they're known to start some drama. One victim got stuffed in a garbage can in some alley for accidentally tripping over Suga's foot. Another was rumored to have gotten beat up by their posse for calling them losers. They don't do much to girls... except flirt. The fear over these two bullies may seem juvenile, but everyone just wants to stay on their good side. Especially me. I hate confrontations of any kind... I always want to be nice to everyone and vice versa.

Me and Yeong-Suk reach her car parked along the sidewalk. We fling our backpacks in the backseat; I try not to stare as Suga and Jimin's posse burst out in laughter.

Jimin: "Yo, Suki!" (this was Jimin's nickname for my friend). "Lookin' good, baby. You trying to impress someone?"

I open the passenger seat door, looking at my friend with her back to the posse across the street. She smirks and yells back: "Wouldn't you like to know."

We've known Jimin and Suga since we were little. We all grew up in the same neighborhood, went to the same schools... but never were cool like that. Unfortunately, both guys' parents were not the best influence - they were very strict, low-class workers who wanted the best for their kids but didn't show their best. Their parents participated in drugs, alcohol, and some even said their homes were filled with abuse. Maybe that's why Jimin and Suga turned out the way they did: high-school dropout bullies.

Secret: Yeong-Suk has a small crush on Jimin. She told me last year when we were juniors and I was shocked. How could she like someone that's so horrible to people?

Jimin: "Hey! Let me talk to you for a minute..." -- he calls.

A car whizzes by. I lock eyes with my friend and shake my head.

Me: "Ignore him. We're gonna be late for class..." -- I plead. But she ignores me and faces them.

Yeong-Suk: "What do you want, Jimin?"

Jimin: "I have a gift for you... come here. And bring your friend."

Me? What does he want with me?

My friend eyes me, and I already know what she's thinking. No! She can flirt with Jimin another day! We have a test in twenty minutes and I'm not trying to risk my life or reputation by being around the bad boys any longer than I need to--

She crosses the street with her black hair blowing in the chilly wind. What is she doing? 

I watch from my post beside the car, trying not to seem too interested but I really wanna know what they're saying. Jimin passes her something. Is it candy? She throws it at him. Then... 

I notice Suga making eye contact with me. I quickly turn my head, looking down the street to observe my surroundings.

Jimin: "Hey, Y/N! Come here!"

I scrunch up my face and look towards him, not wanting to comply. My friend gestures for me to come, also calling my name. At that point there was no choice but to cross the street and hopefully get whatever this is over with so we can move on to our duties.

Standing next to Yeong-Suk, I felt his eyes on me again.

Jimin: "How are you?" -- he asks with a smile.