Bad Boys (4)

Yeong-Suk: "Can we stop now? If I study anymore, my brain's going to explode!"

She sulks in her seat while resting her chin on the inner palm of her hand, a pretty scowl on her face. I shake my head while writing notes into my notebook, feeling my hand slightly cramp.

Me: "We've only studied for twenty minutes. And we still have half the study guide to look over. What have you done anyway, huh?" -- I ask, while peering over at her blank notebook and half-empty Iced Americano. We usually study at this cafe several times a week, and each time Yeong-Suk's notebook is always left blank. I really don't know how she plans to graduate, but she hasn't flunked a class so, her methods (or lack of) must be working.

Yeong-Suk: "I've paid for our coffees... and skimmed over each chapter for vocabulary words. How much do you want me to do?" -- She throws her arms in the air and sips on her coffee some more, her eyes bulging.

I sigh and set my pencil down. "I want you to want to study. I want us to pass this exam!"

Yeong-Suk: "But the exam is next week. If we've studied before they cancelled it, why should we have to study even more? It's like brushing your teeth right before eating -- what's the point if they're just gonna get dirty again?!"

I glare at my friend from across the table. Did she just come up with an excuse for not brushing your teeth?

Me: "Okay... no more coffee for you." I say as I snatch her empty cup away and toss it into the trash beside our table. She whines and complains that she wasn't finished. Oh, she's definitely finished. She whines some more but I ignore her and continue taking notes. 

I don't care if the test is next week, I'm studying for however long I need to so I can pass it! Or that's what I'm telling myself. In reality, I'm immersed in my textbook to keep my mind off of Suga. After what went down in that bathroom, my mind has been filled with a whole bunch of dirty scenarios. I'm scared wherever I go on campus because I'm afraid I'll spot him somewhere and... I just don't know what I'd do--

A tap on my arm takes me out of my thoughts. "What?" I ask.

Yeong-Suk: "Isn't that Suga?"

I look at my friend to see her pointing diagonally behind me across the coffee shop. I slowly turn my head to see where she's pointing at, and my stomach flips as my eyes land on a familiar human writing something in a huge textbook. He was wearing dark colors with a hoodie over his blonde hair. I look away and squint my eyes at my friend.

Me: "It looks like him... but why would he be anywhere around here? And reading a book?"

Yeong-Suk: "Oh! He just looked up... he sees me." -- She waves with a polite grin and I tap the table in front of her.

Me: "What are you doing?! Don't wave at him."

Yeong-Suk: "Why not? It would be impolite to not acknowledge him once I made eye contact." -- She grins and nods towards him.

Me: "Forget impolite. He hurt me, remember? He's the bad guy." -- I explain, trying not to raise my voice. She rolls her eyes and looks at me.

Yeong-Suk: "Oh, please. We both know you liked whatever happened in that bathroom the other day... I bet you were just dreaming about his lips on yours again--"

She puckered her lips and made kissy noises, embarrassing the heck out of me and not giving two cents about my feelings. I wish we weren't in public right now so I could hit her one good time.

Me: "Shhh! Yeong-Suk. People can hear you." -- I look at other tables out the corner of my eye, feeling self-conscious. I sigh and roll my pencil between my thumb and forefinger. So much for studying.