The Foreign Woman (3)

A few months later... December.

Only two more weeks until winter break and I feel good. I'm ahead in my classes and I've finished my project for Music Theory. I got a call from my parents the other day wishing me success on my finals and wishing I'd come home.

I decided to stay in Seoul for break to further take in its culture, practice my Korean speaking, and hopefully spend more time with friends.

Social status update: My Korean has improved which means I can initiate more conversations and meet more people without awkwardness. Yoongi has been urging me to practice even outside of class. He even made his roommate Namjoon create flashcards to help me. Forcing me to be social has been Yoongi's number one goal it seems - especially involving his girlfriend Seulgi.

Like a father forcing his child to make friends with other kids, he's been sitting us down for meals, asking our opinions on his music, and scheduling excursions to random public places. Although I hate it, I've been talking and feigning interest in Seulgi just so he'll shut up about it.

One good has come from being social. I met another black girl and she's actually from Africa! Ghana to be more specific. Her name is Afua and she's a Journalism/Writing major that I met at a cultural showcase a few weeks ago on campus. She caught my eye instantly, being that it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack when locating Blacks at our university. I first noticed her natural afro which was so full of life and healthy looking - and that she wears lots of make-up.

Anyway, I invited her to my room to watch some TV and hang out. Halfway into our hangout time, I heard my roommate come through the door and start rummaging through her closet. I didn't pay her any mind; Afua turned her head towards the ruffling noise and whispered: "Is that your roommate?"

"Mhm," I nonchalantly answered. I had told her already of my distaste for her and it seems like we had similar situations. She had to change roommates once because the girl kept making nasty remarks about black people and told her to go back to her country. I couldn't even imagine that level of racism against me.

More ruffles were heard, but this time in drawers. And small groans escaped from my roommate's mouth. What is she doing?

"Did you see my silver bracelet?" Seulgi asks in an aggressive tone. Her arms were crossed as she stared at me and Afua across the room.

"No... why?"

"I left it on my desk in its box this morning before heading to class. I haven't been in the room all day except now, so someone had to have moved it," she declares with crossed arms.

I raise an eyebrow and ask, "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that--" Seulgi stops her sentence and stares at my friend suspiciously. "You've invited people into our room without my permission. Did you watch to make sure your friends didn't take anything?"

This girl is not insinuating that we stole her bracelet. Is she serious?!

Afua scoffs and crosses her arms next to me.

"First of all, I don't need your permission to invite my friends over. And secondly, we didn't take your bracelet. No one came near your desk. Maybe you misplaced it," I reply before turning around to face the TV again.