Chapter Eleven: Under the thumb

I sat on my bedroom floor, crying in to my hands. He was right. I looked up to my mother and why? Why when she didn't care enough about me to stop injecting herself. 

I looked across at the collapsed man on my bed. I stood up and went downstairs to get some cotton wool pads to clean his face. Stepping down the stairs, I entered the kitchen and there it was. The needle, the belt, the spoon.. the heroin. 

I stood looking at it, I'd never been this close to drugs. I swallowed deeply, standing 2 meters away from what ruined my life. What ruined my mothers life, what killed her. It was happening again. It was taking the life of someone i cared about. I picked up the rest of heroin and washed it down the drain, leaving with what i needed to clean Tyler up. 

I got back upstairs and looked in to the room where he was draped across the bed, motionless. I started slowly edging towards him and talking to him gently. 

"Tyler? Can you hear me? Its Crystal." There was no life in his body, he just lay there still, as-if he were dreaming. 

I shuffled closer to him and sat down on the bed. 

"Tyler?" Nothing. 

I got out a ball of cotton wool, and dipped it in warm water, starting to gently brush his face with it. I watched the heroin lined blood transfer from his face, to the cotton wool and in to the water again. Surely i didn't punch him that hard? The blood continued to ruin the moment i took my hand away from his face. 

After a few minutes, he began to open his eyes slowly, he looked dazed but happy. He smiled at me as i was looking down at him. 

"Hey, you." He whispered.

"Hey." I replied. "Are you okay?"

He exhaled and continued to look in to my eyes.

"You do care." he looked content with himself as he said it, kind of smug really. "I knew you weren't some heartless hard-ass."

"Ofcourse i care."

Staring down at his perfectly chiseled features, it was hard not to care. I carried on cleaning his face and then placed a pad on to his wound, with medical tape across it. 

"That should do it." I said, looking at his dilated pupils. 

"Mmm, its a bit.. sore. You've got a good punch there lass!" He said, staring in to space.

"Yeah, well you deserved it. Teach you to talk about my mum like that.'

"I know, I know. Im sorry." His bottom lip sunk in to his mouth.

I put my hand on his chest and patted him softly. 

"Alright then, I better get going. I need to go give Fletcher his things."

He smiled at me then closed his eyes. Then i realised, I had no idea where Fletcher lived.

"Tyler, you wouldn't happen to have Fletchers number would you?"

"Check my phone." He slurred. 

Hmm, no questions about why or what i needed it for.. he was deffinitely off his head.

He held out his mobile with a flimsy arm and waited for me to grasp it. It was definitely a top of the range phone, touch screen, sleek look and a whole lot of options i didn't know to press. 

When i finally found his contact list, I scanned through. There must of been about 200 girls name's before i even reached Fletcher's. Also passing Brendan's name. My curiosity took over and i jumped to his messages, checking the ones he had received from Brendan.

Tyler: You wanting anything tonight man?
Brendon: Na, not tonight. Our lass is coming round lol.
Tyler: Ha-ha, under the thumb.
Brendon: Nope, just don't want her knowing.
Tyler: Ditch her, Ive got 4 lasses waiting for you at the club.
Brendon: 4?
Tyler: Yeah, meet me there in 10.
Brendon: yeah yeah okay bro! :-D

He'd been cheating on me. I looked at the date. It was on my birthday. Tears filled up in my eyes, I tried holding them back but I couldn't help but whimper in despair. Brendan wasn't who i thought he was at all. He was no one to me anymore. I remember everything that happened that night.

We both got ready together at my house, he told me he was taking me out, he said he had a suprise. We opened a bottle of wine and he sat me down, telling me how much i meant to him and that he'd never hurt me. What a load of bullshit. 

Then he told me he was going to fill his car up with petrol, he never came back. I waited for him for 3 hours. I sat in my dress, crying in to my mothers lap at 10 o'clock at night, hoping there was still a chance he might come for me. Then i started to get worried, i rang him 24 times but he didn't answer. 

We fell out over that for nearly a week, he told me he had to rush away because his uncle had unexpectedly passed away and i believed him. I believed every word that came out his mouth. 

All the times he was 'going to the pub' he was probably round here, getting high. He was here even before i was.

 I just couldn't get my head round it. 

Scanning through the rest of the messages and seeing Brendan practically begging for drugs made me sick. And knowing my dad was the supplier. 

Did my dad supply drugs to my mum? Was that what ruined her life and made her last years a living hell before slowly torturing her to her own death?

I couldn't stand being here anymore. I had to leave for a few days. I couldn't be around them.

I rang Fletcher nervously, waiting for him to answer. Scared of what he might say to me. I was so embarrassed about the performance this morning, i doubt he'd even answer if he knew it was coming from this nut house. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, Fletcher. Its me, Crystal?"

"Oh hi Crystal! How you doing?" he seemed pretty happy to speak to me. 

"Urmm, not bad thanks. I was just wondering if you wanted to meet me for a while? Then you could get your blazer, it urm, looks kind of expensive, I wouldn't want to ruin it."

He laughed a little and paused. "How about you meet me at Starbucks on the corner, in say.. half an hour?"

"Yeah, that's great, I'll see you then!"

"Bye."

"Cya later."

I could feel myself smiling instantly, I was so happy to be getting away from here. And plus, I really liked Fletcher. I mean, I know he's gay and everything, so even if I did like him that way there'd be no chance, but he's nice to just be around. 

And if anything, it was a bonus being in the presence of such a good looking guy. I caught myself hoping people around us would think we were dating and smiled at the thought of it.

I walked back in to Tyler, passed him his phone and starred at him. 

"Thanks." I said, before heading towards my wardrobe looking for something to wear. I grabbed a pair of black skinny jeans, a peach floral top that hung around my curves perfectly and a jacket in case it got cold. 

Before leaving i reached for my brown shoulder bag and entered the bathroom to do my hair and make-up. 

I tied my hair back at each side and brought my fringe out to the front, it was naturally wavy and hopefully didn't smell of alcohol. I grabbed the hairspray, and put a thin layer of it on just in-case. I didn't really have time to wash my hair right now. 

I put on a small amount of foundation, evening my skin tone out and added some colour to my pale cheeks. I smeared my lips with a clear pink gloss and applied heavy eyeliner to my bottom lid to wake my eyes up a little. Then I looked in the mirror, pouted my lips together before walking off out the bathroom and down the stairs ready to meet Fletcher.