Chapter 2: Future

Years had passed since that fateful afternoon in the blanket fort. James and Hannah had both remained close after the kiss, and Hannah's mom ended up babysitting him until he was old enough to be at home by himself. It wasn't until then that Hannah and him slowly started to drift apart, they had become mere acquaintances in high school.

Now it was the end of their final year of school, and James sat in class no longer the fun-loving kid he used to be when he was younger. Months earlier, he was diagnosed with depression and living each day on an assortment of medications that made the days of his life go by easier. His wardrobe went from a few colours to only black. Black jeans, black shoes and a black hoodie, the iconic wardrobe of the many students who had given up, and wore it day in and day out.

On the other side of things, Hannah was at the top. She was one of the popular kids now. She carried herself, as if she had no worries, and was practically beating guys away with a stick like she was the school's top prize. James knew he had no chance with her now. Her wardrobe even changed, it had gone from conservative to full-blown colour, and very revealing that made every boy in the school look twice. She was perfect, but James would never get to experience that feeling of love again with her.

The final days dragged on, and James's only saving grace now was his English class. His favourite teacher taught it, and one of his closest friends was always waiting for him there. Clare, she was the only light in James' life. She had Straight brown hair, which was always accompanied by jeans and a dark coloured tank top or a T-shirt with a graphic on it, and she was also Hannah's cousin.

Over the years Clare and James would frequently see each other at Hannah's birthday parties or be in the same class every now and again but be too shy to talk to each other. When high school came around, they started to bond and were, now nearly inseparable. 

Like any other day, James took his seat next to Clare, and they chatted whenever they got a second until the class finally ended. James usually got up first and threw his bag over his shoulder while Clare threw on her leather jacket. To which she then looked down for her backpack, only to see it in James's hand awaiting the moment to hand it to her.

"Well aren't you just a sweetheart."

"Least I could do, wanna go for lunch today?"

"Sure, it's been a while since we've done that."

A smile broke across his face as Clare smiled back and the two of them left the classroom together. Heading outside and over to the little cafe across the street, James opened the door for her and thanked him when she walked in, heading for their usual table. James followed and placed his bag down beside the chair opposite of where Clare was sitting.

"What do you want to eat?"

"James you don't have to do that."

"It okay, It's my treat."

"Okay but this isn't a date."

Clare looked up at the boy with a misleading yet flirtatious smile, as she used her finger to twirl her hair. She wasn't Hannah but yet there was something about her that always seemed to draw out the remaining light that resided within James' lost soul, and he'd probably never have the courage to tell her that.

"Yea I know, can't a friend do this for another friend?"

"Yea okay. I'll just have a piece of pizza and a bottle of water."

"Wow, you're pretty basic."

"Shut up, you're lucky it's not pumpkin spice season, now go get the food. My tummy is rumbly."