Chapter 10: Surprise

As if it was on cue with their conversation, the door behind the boys swung open, and the girls stepped out with a couple of glasses filled with chilled lemonade. Daniel patted James on the back before standing up and switched spots with Clare so that the two kids could have a little alone time. Clare handed James one of the glasses as they both sat on the steps and looked out at the road, her parents both went inside but kept a close eye on them from the other side of the glass door.

The two of them now sitting again in one of their intimate silence's, as Clare laid her head down on James' shoulder. Feeling the new weight that she added to him, it triggered James to look at the top of her head and then back at the street. Taking a few sips from the glass of lemonade, it eventually emptied, and looking back over at Clare; he moved his shoulder and Clare rose her head and stared at him.

"Comfy?"

"I was, what's up?"

"I think I'm going to head out."

"Okay. Thanks for spending the day with me."

"You're welcome, we should do it again sometime."

Clare leaned over and kissed James on the cheek as if accepting the offer before letting him stand up. However, he didn't get very far when he felt Clare's hand wrap around his wrist. Turning to face her, he was immediately caught off guard by an obvious concern that was radiating from Clare's eyes.

"What is it?"

"Text me...when you're home okay."

"Wow, you're really starting to sound like my actual girlfriend."

"Yea, I just want to finalize plans for the trip."

"Don't worry I'll text."

"Good, you better or I'll find you."

Taking one last look at the girls now loving smile, the pressure she had on his wrist diminished and James returned to the muscle car. Behind him though, Clare hung her head for a moment and mouthed the words Thank you. In front of her, the engine of the vehicle roared, and Clare raised her head once more to look at James, while the quiet neighbourhood filled with the sound, and the power of the car.

Looking back at her, James was giving her one last look through the tinted window and was filled with a slight glee as he watched Clare wave. He had no reason to stay now as Clare sent him off, watching as the house faded in the rearview mirror, James turned his attention back to the road as a tear rolled down his face.

Clare, on the other hand, couldn't pull her eyes away from the car and hadn't realised her parents were now standing behind her as watched James drive off. Daniel put a hand on her shoulder and sat beside her on the porch. His fatherly smile igniting as he watched his daughters gaze, while Julie began to inquire about the potential relationship.

"So did you tell him?"

"No, not yet."

"Well don't wait too long the good ones don't stay single. I should know I barely managed to convince your father."

"Oh shucks sweetheart, I only ever had eyes for you. Also, Clare, I think I know what would make you feel better," Clare looked at her dad who's warming smile calmed her anxieties and lifted her spirits. "James likes you, he might not know it yet, but it's definitely there. I saw it in his eyes when we talked about you."

Clare wiped away the forming tears in her eyes as she collected herself and listened to her father's words. The day had already been a mess for her emotionally, being broken down and then rebuilt over and over again. Was this the end of it? Would it actually end on good news? She thought to herself as she continued to look at her father.

"You think so?"

"I don't think, I know. Remember your old man used to be his age and I had the same nerves he has now."

"Thanks, dad."

"Is there anything else we can do for you hun?"

"No I'm good, I think I'll just stay out here for a minute."

"Alright, well dinner will be ready soon. We'll call you when it's ready."

"Okay, thanks."

Daniel got back to his feet and opened the door for Julie, who walked through it first as Daniel followed. Taking one last look at his daughter, who had returned to staring out at the street and pondered the thoughts of her reality. Scenarios ran through Daniel's head as well, but he could only focus on one sentence. Do the right thing James, don't break the girl who loves you's heart. Disappearing into the house, he left Clare with her thoughts.

###

Dusk was starting to fall on the city now, and the roar of the engine was James' only companion as if taking the place of Clare in the car. Occasionally he would glance over at the passenger seat expecting to see Clare next to him, yet he continued to fight his feelings for her. Struggling to come to terms with why he cared so much, in his mind she was just a friend, he was in love with Hannah, or at least that's what he thought.

Streetlights washed over the top of the car as he made the final turn to his community and his phone lit up in the cupholder, vibrating momentarily before revealing a concerned text from Clare. Keeping his eyes on the road, he ignored the message and turned the corner onto his street and pulled up to the house. Parking the car in its usual spot, he double checked to make sure nothing was out of place that his father might notice.

While doing his check of the car, James retrieved all of the stuff he brought with him and got out of the car with it bundled up in his hands. Only he didn't get very far when he suddenly felt a light tap on his shoulder. Catching him off guard, he spun his body around quickly and was completely startled to see who was behind him. Hannah was just leaving his house as their paths intercepted one another.

"Hey."

"Hey? Why are you at my house?"

"I just wanted to come by...and see you, I mean see why you left today with Clare."

"It's nothing we were just hanging out."

"Okay if you say so."

"Why? Did you think it was something else?"

"What...No."

"Alright well this was a good talk then Hannah, I'll see you around I guess."