Chapter 15: What If It Was Clare

James was still riding the thought of the distance that was soon to be between him and Hannah. However, he wasn't even with her and yet he cared this much. Even if it was just sympathy for the poor boy across from him but now Nathan was waiting for an answer while he prepared to drink his sorrows away.

"No I don't know what that kind of separation is like but-"

"There's no buts James, what if it was Clare?"

"What does Clare have to do with any of this?"

A drink slid across the table in front of Nathan, as the bartender cracked open the can of pop beside James and slid it to him.

"Will, that be all?"

"Yea thank you."

The bartender raised his eyebrows toward Nathan.

"We said that was all, what are you still doing here?"

"You need to pay for that."

"Fine."

Nathan slid over a credit card that the bartender quickly swiped on his handheld machine and then handed it back to him, strutting away with a frustrated swagger.

"Some people. Anyways back to business."

"What business?"

"What would you do if it was Clare?"

"I don't see-"

"For Christ sake, James, enough of this shit I know you and Clare are together. That's what happens when two social outcasts hang out and the other day when you left the waterpark. I'm sure you took her straight home, didn't you."

There was something about Nathan that had been thrown off in the last day and a half. Some hidden form of anger had been released from within him, and now James was in the direct line of fire. The other thing that James always hated about the boy, and what tore them apart. He always thought he was better than James and his ego was only boosted when he managed to join a high school sports team.

"Dude where is this all coming from? This isn't about me."

"I'm sorry man, I'm just frustrated."

"With Hannah?"

"Myself actually."

It was a strange thing to hear come from Nathan but yet sounded sincere as he was now locked in a gaze with James. Tears were rolling down his cheeks, and there was nothing left for him to hide now, as Nathan let the tears run down his face to the tip of his chin and drip off before finally making an attempt at stopping them.

"Dude, you have nothing to be frustrated about."

"I just love her man, she's my angel."

"I get that, but you need to say something to her or else we'll all be in trouble this weekend," They both took a swig of their drinks. "Besides how bad could the fight have been."

"She went on a total bender last night, she hit the drink hard. Absinthe, Whiskey, Tequila you name it, she consumed it. Then she mumbled something about that all of this was so wrong."

"All of what?"

"I don't know, I assumed the relationship."

James nodded digesting Nathan's story and trying to comprehend a coherent response. However, before he could, Nathan downed the rest of his drink and tapped the glass on the table before his bloodshot eyes cut into James, causing him to lean back as if he was retreating from Nathan's glare and took a sip of the pop before responding.

"Well man, I don't know what to tell ya. Let's say if it was Clare and we were in a relationship then I would tell her how I feel but accept whatever she chose to do. You both have to be willing to make it work or if it comes to it, call it quits."

"Yea I guess. You've always had my back since we were kids, James. Thank you."

"Anytime."

Twirling his glass, Nathan looked over James' shoulder as his eyes lit up.

"Speak of the devil."

Looking over his shoulder to see what Nathan was looking at, James was pleasantly surprised by what greeted him. It was the beautiful brunette girl that he had spent all day with a couple days ago now walking toward their table. Her hand grasped her other arm shyly as she brushed her way past a few people until finally seeing James and Nathan looking back at her. A weak smile crossed Clare's face, and she stopped at the table.

"Am I interrupting anything?"

"No not at all, I was just leaving. I have to go see Hannah."

Feeling like a third wheel now, Nathan slid out from the booth and walked past Clare. James watched for a moment until his eyes met Clare's body and walked up it to meet her eyes with his. A subtle smile rested on her face.

"Do you mind if I sit here?"

"Go for it."

A warming smile crossed James' face as he expected Clare to sit across from him when out of the blue she sat down right beside him and leaned in close so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

"What are you-"

"Do you remember what we talked about?"

"Talked about what?"

"The fake relationship, we're in international airspace, I think it's game time, or did you change your mind about the whole thing?"

She placed her left hand on top of James' right, as a subtle sparkle became evident on her ring finger. James was shocked for a moment as Clare's subtle hint made its point. He looked at her as she gave him a flirtatious wink and took a sip from his can of pop.

"Wow."

"Yea, so are you willing to be my husband?"

Husband? That wasn't the deal. James thought to himself as the words left the girls mouth. However, there was something about the way she said those words that made it almost seem right and caused his heart to flutter ever so slightly.

"Okay, I'm in."

"Good."