Chapter 12: Gift

"So? Believe me now?"

"Yea you were definitely in the shower."

"You sound disappointed, did you expect something a little different?"

"No, not at all."

"Good, maybe one day though."

"Seriously?"

"You're such a perv. A cute one but still a perv."

James was smiling brighter than ever now in the dark, as his depression subsided as he talked to the girl. Was this love?

"Thank you?"

"You sound adorable when you're confused. Anyways I have to go dry off, but I'll see you at the airport. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good, oh and that photo's yours. Do what you'd like with it, consider it a gift for hanging out with me today. That being said it's for your eyes only."

"Again you're welcome, and I know I promise you that only my eyes will see it."

"And now you're welcome, see you later."

"See ya."

The line went dead, and the photo of Clare popped back up again. She did say it was mine. James thought to himself as he took a screenshot of the picture and then closed the text conversation. The rest of the night, she was all that he could think about until the darkness overtook him and he drifted off to sleep.

Sunday came and went as thoughts of the two girls fought for priority in James' head until finally his mom's words cut through his hallucinations, bringing him back to reality as the final hours of the day started to play out.

"So did you get all you're packing done today?"

"Hmm?"

"Packing? Did you do it?"

"Oh shit."

"Do you need help?"

James was already on his way out of the room, as his mother offered to help him. However, at the moment he just needed to be alone and weigh his options because he would only get one shot at whoever he chose during the trip to Australia. Although he already promised himself to Clare. Lost in thought, his mother was now waiting for an answer.

"No, I just have a lot on my mind."

"Well it's a big trip for you, I don't see how you couldn't."

"Yea, anyways I should probably start packing now."

"I'll get your pills, by the way, did you take one today?"

"Yea I did and thanks."

A bag laid open in the middle of James' room, and he could hear his mother's footsteps on the floor above him. Moving around the kitchen, she packed up James' medication. Back downstairs, James flipped on the light, then like any stereotypical man, James began shoveling a set of shirts and pants that were accompanied by all the other basics parts of his everyday outfit. To simply put it, there wasn't much thought to his movements as his mother returned with a polka dot bag filled with all his hygienic essentials.

Handing it over to him, he placed it on top of everything else in the suitcase before zipping it up all the way around, then picked it up.

"So that's it?"

"Yea that should be everything."

"'Alright well I'll see you in the morning to send you on your way."

"Sounds good, see you in the morning Mom."

His mom gave him one last smile before leaving through the bedroom door, while James took one last look around the room using the remaining light from outside to guide his eyes. On the desk in the dark corner of the room, his phone lit up with a text from Clare. The empty bubble that once had her initials in it had now been filled with her face from the picture she had sent James the night before.

You ready for tomorrow? Was sprawled across the screen as James picked it up and typed in his response. Yea I'll see you in the morning. He sent it before quickly getting an Okay see you then. When the final message came through it didn't take him long to pass out under the covers

***

Pale sunlight was breaking through the darkness and illuminated the room, as James put on the remaining clothes that he had left lying around the room, making him ready for the longest flight of his life. He wandered up the stairs where his father was waiting for him already with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"You ready to go champ?"

"Yea I think so."

"Alright, let's go."

James' father opened the front door, as James brushed past him and down the front steps to the muscle car. His eyes were still heavy from his unconscious state. The sound of the car doors unlocked, and he threw his bags into the trunk before climbing into the passenger seat. While getting in, his father was already starting the car causing it to shake from the engine before they pulled away from the house.

Their drive was a quiet one, not sure what they should even say to each other as if there was nothing left for either of them to know in regards to the trip. James now heavily focused on the passing world outside, watched as the sun broke the horizon to recapture the land from the moon. That's when the massive airport structure showed up within the exposed shadows, and they were closing in fast. In only minutes, they were parked in front of the building's entrance. Oblivious, James' father got out first and grabbed the bag from the trunk, and James finally emerged from the car as his fear of change washed over him.

"Alright, do you have everything son?"

"Yea."

"What about your passport."

"Yes, dad."

"Okay, other than that are you alright?"

"I think so just a little nervous."

"That's understandable, but we're just a call away if you need to talk to us."

"I know."

"Take care son."

"Yea I'll try."

His dad patted him one last time on the back and James headed into the terminal where he approached the front desk. Handing the women his passport, she checked him in. While she finalized everything, James looked around for any sign of the others, but there was nothing, as he turned back to the attendant.

"Alright, you're good to go, sir."

"Thank you."

"Have a nice flight."

James collected his stuff and began walking through the terminal, passing gate after gate until finally getting to number twenty-three.