Chapter 23: Back On The Ground

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to land at the Melbourne airport. Please make sure one last time your seat belt is securely fastened. The flight attendants are currently passing around the cabin to make a final compliance check and pick up any remaining cups and glasses. Thank you.

The message ended as Clare and James smiled at each other, when Hannah finally emerged from her isolation, as she slid the center wall back and joined the rest of the group. Her eyes were once again covered by the obnoxious looking glasses.

Outside, the plane began to tilt forward as the city emerged from under the clouds and the land was right below them. Minutes of silence passed until the plane finally touched down on the runway and began to slow down, eventually coming to a crawl.

Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Melbourne airport, Local time is four o'clock in the morning, and the temperature is fifteen degrees Celsius.

For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the fasten seatbelt sign turns off. This will indicate that we have parked at a gate and that it is safe for you to move about.

Please check your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight.

If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you.

On behalf of Australia airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip, and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day.

The plane pulled up to the gate and came to a complete stop as the seatbelt sign turned off and people started making their way around the cabin. The group of kids made their way down the aisle to the front of the plane. Where Captain Marrow and Kelsey along with the rest of the flight crew were standing. Hannah led the group with Nathan following closely behind her, passed the crew without a second thought. However, Kelsey pulled Clare and James away from the crowd.

"Hey you two, we'd just like to congratulate you once again on the engagement."

"Thanks."

Captain Marrow stepped past Kelsey to shake James' hand, staring at him intently.

"Kid, you got a good one I can see it. Also, we pulled some strings and we booked you another suite for your departure in two days. If you can make it, it's yours if not then oh well, see you on the other side."

"Wow. We don't know what to say."

"It's all good you don't have to say anything."

Trying not to show to much affection toward each other they shook everyones hand and exited out the door. While they walked out, they knew that Nathan and Hannah would have questions since they were both waiting for the two of them in the gate corridor. James and Clare began to blush when they regrouped with the other two.

"So what's this about an engagement?"

"Nothing, It's a long story, Hannah, It was just a joke me and James were doing at the bar last night."

"Really because the pilot seemed pretty serious?"

"Well guess we'll never know."

Blazing past the two of them, Clare and James headed up the ramp and into the airport's terminal. The rest of the airport journey was quiet, and the two groups kept there distance from each other, as they proceeded to collect their bags and headed outside to get a rental vehicle. The clerk at the booth was laid back, reading a newspaper with a big article about a big automotive companies daughter finally being found.

The four walked up to the open window expecting the clerk to see them, but he was engrossed in the article. Hannah on the other hand still seemed to be frustrated as she knocked on the glass to get the man's attention, and it didn't take long for him to lower the paper and glare her down. She gave him a sarcastic wave, while the guard reluctantly lowered his feet off the table and slid the chair over to the window.

"Can I help you?"

"Yea we need a couple cars."

"Wait a couple?"

Turning around wickedly Hannah glared down Clare. The once fun-loving popular girl was now putting her demonic side on for all of them to see.

"Yes, a couple. One for Nathan and me and then one for you and James, is that a problem?"

"So you mean-"

"Yes and since you two already have this weird engagement thing going on, you'll be sharing a hotel room, and I'll take numbnuts over here."

"What!" Clare and James expressed simultaneously, both in disbelief. "You can't seriously expect us to share a hotel room."

"I can, and I do, now shut up."

Fuelled on borderline anger, Hannah turned back to the man behind the window who also seemed to be showing signs of fear from Hannah's expression.

"Give us anything high end."

"We got a Jaguar."

"We'll take it."

Hannah raised her hand in the air as Nathan moved past Clare and James so he could hand Hannah his credit card.

"Clare, what do you want?"

Clare looked over at James, who was looking off in another direction. A bleak smile crossed her face as she looked around the lot and spotted something that stood out and seemed familiar.

"That one."

The clerk looked at where Clare was pointing, while James took a look as well immediately noticing what she was pointing at.

"Well little lady, you have good taste."

Across the lot sat a challenger in practically pristine condition, Clare turned to look at James with a wise smirk on her face. James Gave her a slight nod of approval as she turned back to Hannah who merely rolled her eyes at the simple girl's request.

"Fine, whatever."

She slid the clerk the credit card and he ran it through the machine.