Chapter One: Alec's P.O.V

He broke up with me, I thought to myself sadly as I lay in bed crying. I had just gotten home about an hour ago from getting my things from Magnus' apartment, I left the key on the kitchen counter, knowing he'd see it there when he went to go grab Chairman Meow's food. I had said goodbye to the Chairman and left, making sure to lock the door behind me. 

He wouldn't even listen to me I started to stop crying as I thought about it more, and more. He wouldn't hear me out. He never told me anything about him. I furrowed my brow as I continued to delve into my thoughts. 

Every time I wanted to know the littlest thing about him, he always steered away from the question I had asked, or he turned it into a full blown fight. He knows I’d never try and take his life away, and yet he wouldn't even listen to why I was there in the first place. I felt anger start to rise up inside of me. He thought I was there to discuss the details, he probably never even trusted me. He probably never even loved me; I was a stupid game to him, something to pass time for a little while.

By this time I had completely stopped crying. Why should I care if he didn't? Tonight is the only night I'll allow myself to cry over that stupid warlock. If he doesn't need me, then I don't need him. I don't need anyone.

I got out of bed and went to go take a cold shower, when I got out I looked into the mirror and stared at myself. Even after the shower I looked like a train had hit me at full speed. I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a wife-beater; I glanced at myself one last time before making my way to the training room. It was only two in the morning, but I needed to train. I needed to be the best. The emptiness I felt in my chest right now, I'd fill it with hard training and I would block everyone out. I'm never going to let anyone else wiggle their way into my heart, ever.

When I got to the training room I started to warm-up. I chose to begin with a hundred pushups, followed by a hundred and fifty sit-ups, then end off with fifty jumping jacks. By the time I was done with my warm-ups I was already coated in a thin layer of sweat. 

I made my way over to the punching bags and I started to work on a few offensive and defensive blows and blocks. I'm going to work myself until I'm better than Jace, till I'm better than any adult shadowhunter. I'm going to work myself until I'm better than everyone. 

I practiced my kicks and flips next, once they were suitable for the time being, I went to pick up a sword. I've mastered my bow but I still need to master every other weapon I can. No matter how long that took.

After I was satisfied with my sword use — for now anyway — I went and practiced with the swords. I was about to move to the mat to practice a few things that involved being flexible, but someone cleared their throat behind me before I could take another step towards it.

"Who is it?" I asked without turning around, annoyance clear in my voice.

"How long have you been in here?" The person asked. I instantly recognized it as Jace. I looked at the clock on the wall in front of me and saw that it was a little past nine in the morning.

“Since about two, I think." I said with a slight shrug. I kept my answers short and to the point, I no longer had room for petty conversations.

"You might want to go get some sleep," Jace told me. I heard concern laced in his voice, but there was no way in hell that I was going to just quit and go to sleep.

I turned around and tossed a bamboo stick in Jace’s direction, he caught it easily and I motioned for him to join me on the mat. He sighed as he took his place in front of me. I was the one to make the first move, taking my stick into the trick position of a blow heading towards his knees but at the last second, changing it so that the other end of it hit his side. He fell down in shock and I smirked as I helped him up. He took his position again and I did the same.

Jace was obviously confused about me being able to stun him so quickly. We watched each other, waiting for one or the other to move, this time though, he moved first. He went for the back of my knees, trying to cripple me for a few seconds, which would cause me to fall to the ground. But before he could do that, I dodged it and hit the back of his knees instead. Then as he was falling I quickly trapped my bamboo stick with his, keeping him hovering above the ground.

"When did you learn all this?" Jace asked me, "I'm your parabatai, we're supposed to be matched in fighting and you just kicked my hot ass." He seemed genuinely shocked and I took pride in this.

I gave him a cold grin before announcing that I was off to take a shower. I quickly made my way to my room and took my second shower for the day. I got dressed into something different than I would normally wear. If I was going to have a new me, might as well look it. I wore my tight leather pants that went with my gear and a tight black t-shirt that Izzy got me a while back, it didn't have any holes and it fit me, unlike my other shirts. I threw on my jacket that matched my pants and stuffed some daggers and my stele into the hidden pockets of the jacket. When I went out of my room I ran into Izzy.

"Hello," I said. My voice was flat, monotonous even. Izzy eyes me up and down, her eyes widened and she began to look worried.

"Alec, what's wrong? You sound different and well..." She gestured to my clothes. Concern was plastered all over her face.

Clueless little Isabelle, showing emotions is showing weakness, it's better to just lock them up so no one can manipulate them. 

I felt like my façade was about to break, she made my mind wander…I put on a grim, and forced smile as I said, “don’t worry about me, Izzy. I’m fine.” I looked at my phone and checked the time, “I’m going out, I’ll be home sometime around,” I put my finger to my chin as if calculating a time, “well, I guess I’ll be back whenever I’m back.”

And with that, I walked out of the Institute and down the street, leaving my sister behind with a saddened face, but I couldn't find a single care to give; I no longer cared for anything. I was going to be the best so I had to cut out anything that would hold me back.