Chapter Thirteen: Magnus' P.O.V

It had been a week since Alec and I had gone to the shop. I had to go there to get a book and a certain someone’s contact information. I was surprised to have seen Ferner there. But what surprised me even more was the fact Alec was with him, in the back of the store. I don’t think I want to know what happened but then again Alexander’s been really distant with me since then. So I finally gave in today and asked him after he got back from a fight. I heard from Izzy- who was already back at the institute, that is had been pretty big and Alec was a little injured but not majorly. It was something simple I could fix up.

“Hey Chairman” I heard Alec’s voice and then the click of the door, signaling it was shut. I went out to meet him, he looked like a wreck, but it was mostly the dirt. Upon seeing me, Alec’s happy smile turned a little forced. “Hey Magnus, I’m home.”

I smirked and took his hand, causing him to drop the cat that just scurried off to Lilith knows where. What? I’m trying it out. The shadowhunter’s have the term ‘by the angel’ and I was just a teensy bit jealous. I practically dragged my dirty shadowhunter into my office, which I had already hidden all the things to do with finding out how to turn Alexander immortal. I led him to the couch I still had in here and he sighed in relief at sitting down, I instantly got to work, hovering my hands over the different parts of his body, admiring certain runes of which were my favorites.

“Did you have a long day?” I asked him, trying to pipe up a conversation before confronting him about the distance thing. All he did was nod his head and groan, then let out a breath when I healed another deep cut. I finished a few minutes later and pulled Alec close to me, wrapping my arms around him. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around my waist. But hesitantly is better than none.

“Super long” he finally answered me with words. I had to resist the urge to cover my mouth in a shocked and over exaggerated gasp. Instead I rubbed circles in his back and he started to tell me about it, I listened intently because this is the first time this week he’s even said more than three words to me. “First we got there and this huge demon comes out of nowhere. It was disguised as a little girl too; it was horrible because she looked so innocent and sweet. Then she turned into this big slimy booger looking thing and she sprayed blue goo everywhere, which by the way, stung the shit out of me.” he paused before going on and I rubbed his back. I knew this bothered him because he’d always wanted children and having to fight something that looked like one was probably hard for him, until it turned into a ‘big slimy booger looking thing.’

Alec took a breath and continued “then after we killed it and sent it back to where it came from Izzy and Jace got held up with another and I was left alone, I was doing pretty good until…” he trailed off. I wonder what’s gotten him speechless.

“What happened Alexander, darling?” I was really worried; I looked down to see a vacant look in his eyes before he spoke up again.

“Ferner showed up Magnus…” Alec shot up and looked me in the eyes; his eyes went from vacant to angry. What had Ferner done? “He said you two were…” his voice cracked.

I was angry too. What had Ferner said to Alec to get him this upset? “What did he say, Alexander?” my voice coming out harsher than intended.

“He said you two were together, behind my back and you were planning to get rid of me...to find someone more...long lasting!” Alec shouted at me. I was taken aback by his sudden voice raising. He was usually a calm person but he looked like he was about to crack in half. I felt tears in the back of my eyes.

“Alec, you know I would never do anything like that. I love only you! I will love you until the day your precious blue eyes will have to leave my world.” I felt a single tear escape and Alec’s eyes softened for a bit before they got hard. Like when we had the fight about Camille and broke up hard. He looked like a cold blooded killer right now. It scared me.