Chapter Twelve: Alec's P.O.V

I didn’t want to but I followed the man into the back anyway. I got passed the beads that separated the front and back of the store and saw him sitting at a round table with only two chairs. He told me to sit and I obliged. He intimidated me a little so what else was I supposed to do.

“By the angel, what did you want me back here for? My boyfriend is going to be worried” I told him after I had sat down.

Ignoring my question the man instead decided to ask me “has Magnus been a little secretive these past few days Alexander Lightwood?” I was about to ask his name before he spoke again “my name is of no importance in this matter, just answer the question.”

Had Magnus been secretive these past few days? Nah, we’re perfect, he’s just been stressed is all. I sat in silence for a few minutes, trying to convince myself when I finally realized. He wouldn’t even tell me why we were coming here, or what he was going to get.

I ended up just shrugging and mumbling “maybe” to the man. What was he getting at anyway?

“Do you know what he’s working on right now?” I shook my head. “Do you want to know why he is hiding stuff, quickly changing subjects, not getting his work with other clients done because he’s so submerged into what he is doing now? Don’t you ever wonder Alec?”

I looked up my gaze meeting his “I don’t wonder because whatever he isn’t telling me is for my own good. It could be dangerous for all I know.” I said this but the little voice in the back of my head held doubt that wouldn’t go away.

“Are you sure you don’t want to know?” by now the man had his elbows on the table and his hand cradling his head. He winked and I internally gagged.

“Look-” I started, sitting back and crossing my arms over my chest “whoever you are, I am sure I don’t care. He is my boyfriend and I trust him that what he’s keeping from me is for a good cause.”

The man pulled out a folded piece of paper from his jacket pocket, which had been hanging on the back of the chair. Shoving the piece of paper towards me, his eyes telling me he expected me to unfold it and look at it. Smirking, I did just as he wanted me to. And what I saw surprised me. It was a picture of Magnus and the same man before me hugging. Not a friendly hug, more of the going to cuddle with you type of hug. Magnus had his eyes closed and he was blushing. This mysterious stranger made my Magnus blush!

“This isn’t real, it’s fake” I said, folding the picture back into its original square. “And if it isn’t then it’s a friendly gesture. Nothing more” I was more saying this to try and convince myself more than anything.

“I can assure you it’s real my dear Alec. Remember, he does need to keep more” the man paused and looked at his nails in a bored fashion “long lasting lovers.” As soon as he finished his sentence I heard Magnus calling my name before appearing through the beads.

“Ale-” he stopped. “Ferner, why are you here, and more importantly. Why is Alec back here with you?” Magnus glared suspiciously between me and the man- whose name is apparently Ferner. Magnus walked over and took my hand, tugging at it a little to tell me to stand up. “Let’s go Alec, I got what I needed.”

I took one last look at Ferner’s smirking figure. He walked with us out of the back and into the main part of the store. He paused and nodded to Magnus, slipping past me a little too close for my liking. I felt his hand in my pocket then a sudden poking feeling. I reached my hand in my pocket and felt the picture. “You keep this” he murmured just loud enough for me to hear.

I slipped the picture deeper into my pocket and Magnus yanked my hand, pulling me out of my small trance. “Time to go” he whispered into my ear, dragging me along with him.

We started walking home and all the while the thing was on my mind. Was Magnus actually cheating on me? Was he not happy? Was he already trying to find a replacement for me? I asked myself questions and we walked in silence for a while before Magnus pulled us into a small restaurant. I was in my trance so I didn’t protest. We sat down and Magnus ordered us a sandwich and coke. I just stared at him and he smiled. Why was he so perfect? Why does he have to go and begin to break my heart again? I was so lost in my thoughts I didn’t realize Magnus speak.

“Alec” he said, snapping his fingers in front of my face, snapping me out of my trance again. “Alexander, you’ve been staring at me for the past ten minutes. What’s on your mind?” he cocked his head to the side and put his elbow on the table, resting his head on his hand, which I found so adorable. I concluded that he wouldn’t do something like that and the picture really was just a fake. Although a little voice in the back of my head kept repeating the same question over and over. But what if it isn’t?

I shrugged and replied something nonchalant as our food arrived and we ate in silence, only looking at each other. Magnus with a loving look in his eye and with me, I’m pretty sure it was one of suspicion and hurt.

Pretty soon we finished our food and headed home. As soon as we got in the door I went off to feed Chairman Meow without saying a word to Magnus. Later that night after I was about to go to bed I found him in his office hovering over ancient looking books, he obviously didn’t want to be bothered so I just went to bed, thinking about the picture and what Ferner said. He needs someone a little more...long lasting.