Chapter Three: Izzy's P.O.V

I was getting even more worried about him. He’s always kept his emotions to himself, but now it's different. There's a certain look in his eyes now that manages to send chills down my spine. And the way he goes into a fight, it's almost like he enjoys getting wounded, like he enjoys almost getting killed.

“Alec, we have a demon sighted down near Taki’s and Clary said it was pretty big. Are you up to going with me?” I asked him. I kind of hoped that he’d say no, but I guess that the angel's aren’t listening to me at the moment because he looked up and curtly nodded before going back to polishing his dagger. “Great,” I said, my voice full of sarcasm. I rolled my eyes, “go get geared up, we leave in ten.”

Alec did as he was told and I followed him, I was already ready so I just texted Clary telling her that we’re on our way. She texted back and tells me that we needed to get there ASAP. I sat my phone down and started to wait for Alec, and as soon as I was almost done with a speed rune, Alec comes bounding down the stairs, his runes already drawn on, and they were drawn where they would help him most, but I know from experience that they had to hurt while putting them on, especially that close to nerves.

“Ready," he told me, a crooked grin on his face. The first time he’s even shown emotion all day and I, surprisingly, was a little scared of it. Yeah, this isn’t like my brother at all.

Instead of answering I take his arm and drag him out of the institute.

We get there to Taki’s’ ten minutes later, I can already feel my speed rune burning from being used. I steal a glance at Alec who is transfixed on the dark alley across the street from us, I see Clary inside sitting at a booth. She’s out of action due to her breaking her foot, she could just put an Iratze on it but her mom is punishing her by making her heal like a mundane.

Alec started towards the alley and I reluctantly followed him. The two of us stepped into the alley and as soon as we did, a hissing voice began to speak.

“He told us that you’d be here.”

I didn’t have any time to process what they meant by that because two demons stepped out from the shadows. They both looked like normal humans, except for the smell, and the matching tie-dye hair. I could tell by the crazy clothes and the way they smirked that they were offspring straight from Kobal, they would just make fun of us and try to hit a nerve, and once they hit it they kill you without a second bat of an eyelash. Our bodies would be left in the alley and our livers would be missing. 

“Oh I didn’t know you were expecting us” Alec said smugly, all I could wonder about is what the hell he was trying to do. “I probably would have worn nicer clothes if I had known.” I pulled out my seraph blade slowly and carefully.

I looked at the one closest to me and he was looking back at me. This should be interesting.

I fought with my seraph blade until I had cut off his hand. Then to my despair, it grew back within seconds. I knew I wasn’t really skilled with Seraph blades as well as I could be, so I decided to use my whip, I lashed out at the demon with it, letting it wrap itself around his neck. 

The demon threw his hands up to my whip, trying to get it to release him. I held my ground and pulled tighter and tighter, I looked over my shoulder to see Alec fighting the other one. He didn’t have his bow out and I hadn't expected him to, not for close range anyway. No one in their right mind would use a bow when the enemy is literally right in front of you. Alec was using his katana. Blocking every blow given out by the demons claw, it looked to be poisonous, the way that it had green vein like lines all over it. From the look on my brother’s face, I could tell that he'd taken it into consideration.

I finally pulled the plug on the demons life that I held captive in my whip. And then I watched him burn. Now he's back in hell, where he belongs.

I turned my attention back to Alec, I wanted to go help but I knew it would be a bad idea, I could barely face the one I had been up against, and he hadn’t used a claw. Alec was dodging blows, better than he ever did before. Suddenly the demon slashed in pure anger at Alec’s chest, he could have blocked it too, had I not distracted him by screaming his name.

It all happened in slow motion, Alec’s katana clambered from his hand. Bouncing onto the ground beside him, the demon wore a satisfied smirk on his face. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t help. My legs felt like they were glued to the ground. When I saw all the blood, I couldn't help but think about how much it was going to hurt to lose another brother.

I barely saw it, but I did. Still seemingly in slow motion, Alec sank to his knees clinging to the demon who still wore that smirk. Alec reached behind him, acting as if in pain, but I was able to see both his from and back, and I could see what he was really doing. He pulled a dagger out from the sheath around the back of him. I thought him crazy at first for wearing one there but now, I’m not so sure it was a bad idea. Alec looked up, no emotion in his eyes as it seemed to be all the time now. He kept up the stone-like façade while I was still stuck. Alec plunged the dagger into the demons neck. He pulled him arm to the side and backs a little, cutting a huge gash in the demons throat. Everything was back at normal speed and I could move again.

I rushed to Alec who now sat on the ground against a wall.

“Alec!” I screamed hysterically, not caring if I seemed like a mess. “Are you okay? How bad does it hurt?” I was worried half to death.

Alec looked up, attempting to look at me. I knelt down so he wouldn’t have to strain himself as much too though.

I expected him to cry out in pain.

I expected him to look in pain.

I expected him to be scared.

I expected him to scream.

What I didn’t expect was the dry, stone hard eyes.

I didn't expect him to be laughing softly.

And I most certainly didn't expect the look of joy.

The first emotions he's let out of him in almost a week, and it wasn’t what I expected. Not at a time like this at least.