Chapter 4

They made it back to the cave just as the sun was in its final stages of setting. Under an ever-darkening flaming sky, the two silently sat in their places in the crystal cave. They knew that they were safe there- if they stayed quiet enough, virals would have a difficult time finding them. The bones of their prey lay scattered across the floor, bloody and smelling of death.

'I have an idea,' Black Talon said.

'What?'

'Years ago, before I came here, I used to live in a canyon up north beyond this mountain, past a stream. If we could somehow get there, to that canyon, we might have a chance... there's only one easy way in, and if we somehow blocked off that entrance, it would be extremely difficult for a viral to get in...'

'Are you saying we should go there? How do we know virals aren't in that area too?'

'We don't know, but it would give us a good chance of survival. We can hide much easier in that canyon and the forest surrounding it, it has plenty of caves and cracks in the rocks.'

'Honestly, that's not a bad idea. But, it'll be hard leaving this place. This is my home... I grew up here...'

'I know. But it's what we must do to live. We have to leave.'

'Okay, just give it a few days... I want to say goodbye to this place...'

Black Talon nodded, understanding. He knew the difficulty of leaving a home. He knew it all too well.

With a sigh, he put his head under his wing and shut his eyes. He was remembering again. He was remembering before. That was the last thing he needed.

---

A night of no sleep. Neither Black Talon nor Fleet Claw managed to rest. Black Talon was used to this- it was not uncommon for him to have sleepless nights. After all, in his previous life as a rogue, he had learned to stay alert always, for death crept around every conceivable corner. Fleet Claw, on the other hand, was not used to such nights. She tossed and turned, waiting for the impossibility of sleep. One would occasionally check if the other was awake, and pleasantly discover that they were not alone in their restlessness. At one point, they even had a small midnight conversation, wondering about the whereabouts of the other packmates. But finally, after long, dragging hours of never-ending wake, the sun began to appear on the horizon.

'It's about time,' Black Talon muttered dryly. His head ached a small amount, and felt heavy too. He rubbed an eye.

Fleet Claw yawned loudly, stretching her body out. 'I really hope this all blows over soon...' She said, looking outside of the cave hopefully.

'Why? Do you really think that will happen?'

'Of course! And we'll both be alive to see the day this all ends!'

'You really think so?'

'Of course I do!'

Black Talon scoffed. Chances were they were going to die because of the virus, sooner or later. For all he knew, both could be dead in the next few minutes. To survive long enough to see the virus end? That was not going to happen. It was a nice idea, but very unlikely.

'We should go soon. We need to hunt more prey, and keep a surplus supply in case food becomes scarce.'

Fleet Claw nodded enthusiastically. She had always loved hunting. The thrill of the stalking, the adrenaline pumping through her blood during the chase. The only part she was less than eager about was the actual act of killing. It was quite messy, and she never liked the look of sheer terror in the eyes of her prey, so she was sure to end their lives as quickly as possible.