Chapter 10

Black Talon spent about two hours hiding, trying to calm himself. He shivered, trying to block everything out. Finally, when he managed to bring everything under control, he sighed and left, ready to tell Sharp Claw. At one point, he considered driving the youngster away, but then he would have only his crippling loneliness to accompany him. So, ultimately, he decided it would not be a bad idea for the Acheroraptor to stay, but to clear any confusion he would vaguely explain a few things to Sharp Claw.

As he went nearer the mouth of the cave, he noticed that no one was there. He had been abandoned. Of course he had...

His eyes dilated as adrenaline began to course through his body- he was alone again and could do nothing about it and had made a huge mistake and oh no it was starting again it's starting again IT'S STARTING AGAI—

'Are you better?' Sharp Claw crept out from behind one of the crystals. Leafie snorted in frustration as he stomped behind him, Midnight crept out hesitantly, while Fuzzy sniffed the air suspiciously.

He slowly turned to see the young one watching in a mixture of confusion and sympathy. Black Talon snorted- he needed no sympathy! Yes, he was suffering- of course he was- but he wasn't interested in sympathy. Because that sympathy pointed to one sign- the fact that the sympathiser knew that he was weak.

'Yes. Now, listen. I've been through a lot of bad things lately, and it still affects me. I'm going to be impatient, snappy, and rude, so get used to it if you plan to be around me.'

Sharp Claw nodded. 'I don't have anyone else, really. Besides, you're strong, and can protect my pack!' He chirped.

Black Talon snorted. 'I'm barely able to protect myself in this world. How do you think I can protect all of you?' I certainly couldn't protect my friends.

'Well, you're definitely stronger than any of us!'

'Well, if that Triceratops, Midnight, actually stays alive long enough to grow up she will be stronger than all of us combined.'

'She will grow up!'

'What makes you think that?'

'Because we're going to survive!'

Black Talon chuckled to himself. Survive? Like that was a possibility. Still, he was impressed by the juvenile's spunk.

'We're doomed, all of us. The Virals will come eventually.'

'No, they won't! There must be a safe place, right?'

Black Talon shuddered as he was reminded of the canyon. It might still be safe, and if they block off the entrance...

'I might know somewhere...' Black Talon mumbled. 'But that doesn't matter.'

'Take us there!'

'And why should I?'

'Well, what would you rather do?' Sharp Claw made no effort to hide his increasing frustration at the black raptor before him. 'Would you rather stay here and rot? Stay here and wait for death without even trying to stay alive? Or would you prefer to go out there and find sanctuary?'

'Listen, chances are we'll all end up dead and forgotten.'

'And what does that matter? At least we'd die trying. At least we wouldn't give up, and instead remain strong to the very end. You need to get out of this ridiculous state and stop wallowing in your sadness before it destroys you!'

Sharp Claw growled, narrowing his eyes. Black Talon did not respond to the growing emotions overtaking the raptor, he merely observed with mild interest.

'Is this what your packmates would have wanted you to do!?' He snarled, fury pulsating throughout his body.

Black Talon just stared. Keep going! - Those had been Fleet Claw's final words to him. And in his melancholy, he had nearly forgotten her wish. If he truly gave a damn, he would not have done such a thing. He would not have forgotten that.

Even then, the lives of four creatures seemed to be riding on his shoulders now. He wasn't really in the mood to have the needless blood of young ones spilled when he could instead help them. And besides, he knew that all he would do for the rest of his life was eat and sleep- at least this way he would do something.

He knew he was going to die eventually. Frankly, he preferred the idea to die doing something rather than die doing nothing.

'... I'll consider it. Just don't get on my nerves...'