Chapter 15

The sun was setting by the mountains, as it had done for as long as anyone could remember. Pink clouds flared across the sky, contrasting with the molten orange rays the sun threw into the world. Fleet Claw, Black Talon, Thorn Tooth and Razor Feather all rested on the top of the hill, watching silently as the sky churned into a dark navy colour. Then, one by one, tiny lights began to appear- the stars. Black Talon had always loved the stars. They were mysterious, beautiful, and most of all, they made him feel like he wasn't alone. He had watched them for a long time, mainly on his own. But never had he felt like this- before, he understood that the idea that he was not alone was just an illusion to distract him from reality. But now, for once, he truly did not feel alone, and he understood why. It was because he wasn't alone. They barely spoke that night, they had just watched the lights silently, and he had loved it. From that day on, he would always associate the stars with his friends. He was not alone. He had them, and they had him. He had his friends, and his friends had him...

---

The night sky loomed above them. Stars glowed ominously, highlighting the twisted branches of the forest. Black Talon did not like the stars so much anymore. They made him realise how alone he truly was. They would never let him forget the wonder and warmth he felt on that one day- that was what made it so painful. It was the constant reminder that he would never experience such things with his treasured friends again. The thought scared him.

Much like before, everyone was silent. Walking through the shadows, Fern Foot, Sharp Claw, Midnight, Leafie and Fuzzy had not dared make a single peep. It only made Black Talon feel worse.

They had all feasted on the carcass of an Edmontosaurus a few hours ago. It was not a viral and had not been in contact with one, so it had been deemed safe to eat.

A lone insect chirped quietly. The wind was blowing north, in the direction they were moving in. They could sense whatever was behind them perfectly fine, but they were completely blind to whatever lay in front of them.

Fuzzy was awake, and trying to hide himself amongst Sharp Claw's many grey feathers. His dark eyes shifted around, and his blue-grey body was tensed, as if he was going to pounce at any moment. Sharp Claw himself seemed a bit scared, more of the dark forest than anything else.

Leafie was not as nervous. He was marching on as if he ruled the world, not afraid of anything or anyone. He had a defiant, confident look on his face.

Midnight walked near Black Talon. She would alternate between walking near him, and walking near Fern Foot. The long, thin spines on her tail twitched, ready to stab at any enemy who may come out of the forest to attack them without warning.

Fern Foot was alert, but was not showing any signs of anxiety. He shivered, though it was because of the cold wind blowing against them, not because he was afraid.

They could see the edge of the forest, though no one said anything about it. They were all tired, and Black Talon knew that soon he would have to rest.

Narrowing his eyes, he saw, beyond the edge, an open field of long grass. The long grass was tall enough to cover them.

The whole time, he had a strange, empty feeling in his chest, somewhere around the heart. It was hard to describe- like some kind of cramp. It beat a little faster than usual, and he knew it was not because of fear. . .

There were less and less trees as they moved closer to the edge. Moonlight slowly began to filter in, shining on feathers, scales, and fur.

'So,' Fern Foot said, slowing to a stop in front of the long grass. 'Do we go through it, or around it? It can provide safety, but it might also be very dangerous.'